BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Comp Package and Performance Exhaust

04-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Comp Package and Performance Exhaust

Going through a build, and I noticed when adding the MPE after adding the Comp package (Sport Exhaust), it's additive. I realize there are other things in the Comp package, but why wouldn't there be some kind of offset to account for the removal of the sport exhaust?

Actually, I just remembered the CA stating the MPE was added in port, so do they arrive from BMW with the sport exhaust and have it swapped out in port? Why not just install it at factory? What do they do with the exhaust system they remove?

I realize these may be dumb questions. I had a 2019 M5 Comp, got rid of it and am back for more (meaning, I'm not that experienced with them).

Last edited by nerdogray; 04-05-2021 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:29 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

That is a valid point. Can you order the MPE for the base M5? If so I assume it is the same cost for both the base M5 and M5C. Seems like there would be a credit for the upgraded sports exhaust of the competition.

On a side note, what did you trade the 2019 M5 for and why did you decide to come back to the M5?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
That is a valid point. Can you order the MPE for the base M5? If so I assume it is the same cost for both the base M5 and M5C. Seems like there would be a credit for the upgraded sports exhaust of the competition.

On a side note, what did you trade the 2019 M5 for and why did you decide to come back to the M5?
That is a loaded question for me. I absolutely loved the car, but I made the mistake of using a local con artist for the wrap. He damaged the car ($4800 worth) and did a terrible job on the wrap (he had the car close to a month for the first attempt). It was a multi-months long ordeal where I eventually had to dispute with the bank (which favored me eventually and returned the money to cover damages). By that time, I was over it. Between the wrap guy and the guy that did the tint, I learned it was a group of them that pretty much ran a racket. Anyway, I am a perfectionist, and the entire experience left me poisoned. I sold it back to BMW, paid the gap to just get rid of it, and moved on. The local dealer was great, though. They went to bat for me over the damages done by the wrap guy. I'm sure they also loved me giving them a ridiculous amount of money just because of my intolerance. So anyway, two years later, and I've got the itch again. This time, however, I am leasing and do not plan on a wrap... or if I do get one, it definitely will not be done by that buffoon. Neither will the tint be done by his friend.

I'll have to build one out using a base M5 with the MPE. I didn't try that.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
That is a loaded question for me. I absolutely loved the car, but I made the mistake of using a local con artist for the wrap. He damaged the car ($4800 worth) and did a terrible job on the wrap (he had the car close to a month for the first attempt). It was a multi-months long ordeal where I eventually had to dispute with the bank (which favored me eventually and returned the money to cover damages). By that time, I was over it. Between the wrap guy and the guy that did the tint, I learned it was a group of them that pretty much ran a racket. Anyway, I am a perfectionist, and the entire experience left me poisoned. I sold it back to BMW, paid the gap to just get rid of it, and moved on. The local dealer was great, though. They went to bat for me over the damages done by the wrap guy. I'm sure they also loved me giving them a ridiculous amount of money just because of my intolerance. So anyway, two years later, and I've got the itch again. This time, however, I am leasing and do not plan on a wrap... or if I do get one, it definitely will not be done by that buffoon. Neither will the tint be done by his friend.

I'll have to build one out using a base M5 with the MPE. I didn't try that.
Why not just get it painted the way you want from the factory? Go the individual paint route and be done with it.
      04-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

It was just about the protection for me, though I have wondered how a Stealth/matte wrap would make certain other clearcoat paints appear.

For the question at hand, I did get it verified that it is no mistake that there is no offset. BMW is happily selling us one exhaust system for the price of two.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

if you want to keep the sport exhaust from the factory , you can add the MPE at the dealer
disadvantage of that approach
dealer will charge you labor
sport exhaust is not worth anything
if you lease the car , the MPE will not be residualised , so basically you are paying for the whole cost of it vs roughly 40 % of it if included in the lease
this also applies to spoilers , side window covers etc. If done at port you never get original
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
m3forme2016
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 SSII/SS Comp

Quote:
Why wouldn't there be some kind of offset to account for the removal of the sport exhaust?
I'm no expert, but I guess:

1. Why would there be? People are perfectly happy to pay extra for MPE. BMW is not obligated to give credit for options that are replaced.
2. The sport exhaust isn't worth more than regular one.
3. Most people would not expect there to be a credit. This never occurred to me (and I just purchased MPE and comp. pack).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Why wouldn't there be? Because I would be paying for something that is getting ripped right off at port and chucked. It does have *some* value. I'm glad people are perfectly happy to pay extra for MPE. I never said or implied I wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
m3forme2016
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
Why wouldn't there be? Because I would be paying for something that is getting ripped right off at port and chucked. It does have *some* value. I'm glad people are perfectly happy to pay extra for MPE. I never said or implied I wasn't.
I think there wouldn't be because most people don't expect it. Sport exhaust is part of comp pack, not sold separately.

The sport exhaust not installed at the port and it is not chucked.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PGH View Post
if you lease the car , the MPE will not be residualised , so basically you are paying for the whole cost of it vs roughly 40 % of it if included in the lease
Just an FYI, port installed accessories are residualized in the lease and I believe that they are also shown on the window sticker.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
m3forme2016
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just an FYI, port installed accessories are residualized in the lease and I believe that they are also shown on the window sticker.
Yep, that's the awesome thing about leasing. You only pay 40% of all the performance parts.
Appreciate 0