BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    What transmission settings do you use and why?

07-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
a72
Rep
Drives: f90 M5 - Azurite Black

What transmission settings do you use and why?

I've been driving my car during the break-in on a D3 setting - simply because I don't know any better, and it seemed to me a 'middle of the range setting' was neither too lame nor aggressive. In any case is there a rationale and application of when each setting is relevant?

A comment against each setting would be appreciated.

D1 -
D2 -
D3 -
S1 -
S2 -
S3 -

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by a72 View Post
I've been driving my car during the break-in on a D3 setting - simply because I don't know any better, and it seemed to me a 'middle of the range setting' was neither too lame nor aggressive. In any case is there a rationale and application of when each setting is relevant?

D1 -
D2 -
D3 -
S1 -
S2 -
S3 -

Thanks
D3 is more aggressive, S are obviously for manually shifting.
I only use D1 in efficient mode for the car to warm up ( or when I drive mine kids ) After that S3 in sport plus, more fun :-)
      07-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Start car, hit M1 twice, Sport AWD, D3, Sport Plus, Sport Plus, Sport Plus and by the time I get to the bottom of my hill the car is warmed up and ready to rock.

If you use S keep in mind it DOES NOT shift up for you! LOL. Will down shift though which I think is odd given that it WILL NOT UPSHIFT for you. Slam redline all day, no upshift.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Start car, hit M1 twice, Sport AWD, D3, Sport Plus, Sport Plus, Sport Plus and by the time I get to the bottom of my hill the car is warmed up and ready to rock.

Mike
How many miles are you waiting before pushing ?

Putting everything in Sport or (even worse) Sport+ right away after starting the engine is not a very good idea IMO ...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
F90M5C
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 19 F90 M5C,17 F82 ZCP M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-am View Post
Quote:

Mike

Putting everything in Sport or (even worse) Sport+ right away after starting the engine is not a very good idea IMO ...
Ive done that on my current F10 and plan to keep doing it on the F90 too , as long as you dont push the car to the limit then its ok. Its like giving the car a heads up on whats gonna happen when the engine is warm enough
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90M5C View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Mike

Ive done that on my current F10 and plan to keep doing it on the F90 too , as long as you dont push the car to the limit then its ok. Its like giving the car a heads up on whats gonna happen when the engine is warm enough
The point is it's not good to drive in sport or sport plus and D3 because it revs higher before shifting on cold engine. Some people rev it to 6-7K as soon as they start. It's just not good for engine. Now everyone can drive the way they wish or feel like it
      07-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #7
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I personally drive under 2000 RPM for about 20km , then I start to progressively give more gas.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I'm think I'm going to push sooner and enjoy right away, I despise break in periods! Lol
This is also just a lease.....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
The point is it's not good to drive in sport or sport plus and D3 because it revs higher before shifting on cold engine. Some people rev it to 6-7K as soon as they start. It's just not good for engine. Now everyone can drive the way they wish or feel like it
The car shifts at about 3k or less when driving easy, like the 2 miles down through my neighborhood. Driving in Sport plus, etc D3 will not hurt the "warming up car" unless you MASH on it right out of your driveway!

Keep in mind that the engine will rev beyond the "Yellow" zone during warm up, but it is warm in less than 2 miles. Agree you should go easy on it but no reason no to switch to your preferred driving mode right away.

I went very easy on this car until 3000 miles. (beyond the 1200 mile break in) and have not used launch control.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I highly doubt that the engine gets warm with only driving 2 miles ...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #11
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I highly doubt that the engine gets warm with only driving 2 miles ...
The variable tach moves up to normal and the car temp moves to normal range in about 2 miles. Twin turbo cars warm up fast. We are not talking about a car that has been sitting for 6 weeks as a garage queen. I am usually driving my car early in the morning after returning late at night. It hardly ever sits for more than 6 or 8 hours.

I agree that if it were parked outside in the winter that it may take longer to heat up. The variable redline is there to remind you of the mess you made when you went away, I mean that you should warm up the car before romping on it.

Keep in mind plenty of folks posted HERE that they 'test drove' a new F90 and Drove it Hard with 20 miles on it.

I don't red line it all the way to work in the morning, but by the time I get to the onramp for the highway I've drive about 4 miles and the car is plenty warm to drive normally.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

I start up and drive for a minute or so in default settings. Then I always engage M1, which is S3, sport plus engine, comfort suspension and sport steering. I am almost always in manual mode, and until the engine is warm, always shift under 3-4k.

Unless I am in stop and go traffic...D is never engaged. This engine is so powerful and flexible, I can keep it in 3rd or 4th around town, and always have torque on demand. That, and I simply prefer to choose the gears myself.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #13
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Is there a way to make the car default to D2 at startup?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #14
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Is there a way to make the car default to D2 at startup?
No. Modern cars always default to the most "efficient" mode to comply with / maximize performance on EPA mileage testing. However, hitting the M1 or M2 button feels like a pretty easy solution given that it will also set up the suspension, steering, DSC, and other settings to your preference.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by a72 View Post

D1 -
D2 -
D3 -
S1 -
S2 -
S3 -

Thanks
I like D3 for spirited driving and D2 for relaxed cruising and stop & go city driving. D1 is just a bit too laid back for me. D3 is a bit too abrupt for stop & go situations.

For me,

M1 = D3, Sport+ engine, Sport suspension (no roads in my area are smooth enough for Sport+), Sport Steering, Sport 4WD (or whatever it is called)

M2 = D2, Efficiency engine (or whatever it is called), Comfort suspension, Sport steering, DSC on full

I find my M2 setting excellent for long highway cruising as it gives good fuel mileage, but is still sufficiently responsive when I need to pass slower traffic.

I'm way too lazy to bother with S modes on the transmission, particularly since the auto seems to be very responsive and intelligent. I doubt I could shift better. About the only time I bother with a paddle shift is in D3 after a tight curve when the trans sits in a lower gear expecting me to accelerate hard and conditions are not conducive to such behavior. In that case I will up shift manually.

As for when to use D3 and Sport+ engine, I agree there is nothing wrong with using those modes immediately after start up. The key to being gentle on the engine during warm up is not so much RPMs (within reason), it is engine load. You can actually do more damage lugging the engine during warm up than revving it a bit under light load. Thus, no problem using the more aggressive settings, just don't mash to go pedal until full warm up.
Appreciate 1