BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    24 old owner perishes in F90 M5 accident

10-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #67
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
For all we know "speeding" could have been driving 55 on a 45, which we all due here. Just because it's an M5 and a 24-year old we assume he was doing 110 on a 45. Let's stop pretending we have never speed on our BMWs and we holier than thou.

This looks to be poor driving conditions and lack of maintenance on the car. Traction on those tires is non existent.

I was just 18 when I bought my first BMW and I remember everyone always assuming I was the stupid kid speeding on daddy's BMW.

May God bless and give this family support during these difficult times.
So he wasn't speeding or wearing a seatbelt and killed himself in an out of control crash? It was the tires?

Brilliant conclusion
Find some neurons, and read again.
      10-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #68
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

It's rare I ever post on anything these days.

But I'll go back to my days as a 24 year old. That was 11 years ago, damn does time fly. Back then I was driving a highly modified 2004 STi. I remember the adrenaline rush I'd get "speeding" in that thing until I realized I'd get the same adrenaline rush at the drag strip in the 1/4 mile or going 0-60.

I can only imagine this guy in an almost brand new M5. Let's be real for a second, we've all been there, speeding at some point. I also watched the video and saw a tire that was mangled and shredded... Everyone keeps commenting about bald tires... it's mangled in the wreck. You don't know the condition of those tires.

Someone died and lost their life. As another member said, there's a mom and dad most likely grieving over the loss of their son. I think that was the point of this post, to recognize that someone lost their life and to be grateful and learn from that event. Don't speed, wear your seat belt, maybe don't go speeding on a damp evening. Thankfully the young passenger didn't lose their life and will be able to walk away from that.

RIP and my prayers go out to the young mans family.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 9
Penguino1603.50
Londoner167.00
eman45171694.50
jhbodle141.50
The_Werm212.00
bsmf8x777.00
b2nvs2001108.50
Kingpin4383.00
      10-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #69
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
For all we know "speeding" could have been driving 55 on a 45, which we all due here. Just because it's an M5 and a 24-year old we assume he was doing 110 on a 45. Let's stop pretending we have never speed on our BMWs and we holier than thou.

This looks to be poor driving conditions and lack of maintenance on the car. Traction on those tires is non existent.

I was just 18 when I bought my first BMW and I remember everyone always assuming I was the stupid kid speeding on daddy's BMW.

May God bless and give this family support during these difficult times.
NYC speed limit is 25 including ocean parkway.

They also have speed cameras installed all over the city. At first I was pissed off about this since I got two tickets by my house for going 36 in a 25, but now I sort of don't mind everyone driving more calmly to avoid tickets. Gone are the days where people are driving like maniacs on northern blvd. At least during the week days when these cameras are enabled.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #70
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I hadn't seen the pics inside. Driver compartment looks completely in tact/safe. The article doesn't mention seat belt, are we sure he wasn't wearing?

Honest question: who still drives without a seatbelt and do they somehow disable the annoying chime or is it actually worth it to their ego to deal with the chime to not buckle up?
You'd be surprised, I always find myself having to tell passengers to buckle up, aggravates me. Any moving car I get into, I engage seat-beat even if it's Uber. Thankfully I rarely have passengers. People are stupid.

PS. condolences to the deceased..
      10-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #71
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post
Tragic loss of a nice car. Not a care for the deceased driver - we can control elements of our life based on the risks we subject ourself to. Driving like an idiot is a personal choice, just disappointing the family have to mourn a loss. Thankfully no one else died in this crash.

The glorification of driving like a muppet, filming it and putting it on social media is only making things worse. The amount of videos I see of speeding and reckless dangerous driving on social media is sickening. As are the comments of young impersonal idiots giving the 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Dispute blatant breaking of multiple laws they are not removed by social media, but other videos for illegal activity are.
There was an article not too long ago I saw of a young woman Snapchat filming her new Supra talking about killing it on the highway who then proceeded to have a fatal car crash with her life and passenger being lost. The car they hit had the entire front ripped off and those two passengers looked like they were sitting in roller coaster seats. The entire windshield, hood, engine and front end was GONE.

Cars will eventually have to drive themselves because us humans will be deemed incapable.
Watch IRobot

Was bored and watched it again.

Will smith gets on hwy and starts to steer the car. At "180" mph lady turns to him; are you crazy humans can't drive at this speed.

Jumps on a bike; are you crazy this thing runs on a gas; you know gas is flammable right
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #72
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post
Tragic loss of a nice car. Not a care for the deceased driver - we can control elements of our life based on the risks we subject ourself to. Driving like an idiot is a personal choice, just disappointing the family have to mourn a loss. Thankfully no one else died in this crash.

The glorification of driving like a muppet, filming it and putting it on social media is only making things worse. The amount of videos I see of speeding and reckless dangerous driving on social media is sickening. As are the comments of young impersonal idiots giving the 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. Dispute blatant breaking of multiple laws they are not removed by social media, but other videos for illegal activity are.
There was an article not too long ago I saw of a young woman Snapchat filming her new Supra talking about killing it on the highway who then proceeded to have a fatal car crash with her life and passenger being lost. The car they hit had the entire front ripped off and those two passengers looked like they were sitting in roller coaster seats. The entire windshield, hood, engine and front end was GONE.

Cars will eventually have to drive themselves because us humans will be deemed incapable.
Watch IRobot

Was bored and watched it again.

Will smith gets on hwy and starts to steer the car. At "180" mph lady turns to him; are you crazy humans can't drive at this speed.

Jumps on a bike; are you crazy this thing runs on a gas; you know gas is flammable right
I think of those scenes often! Loved that movie. What were you thinking driving in manual mode!?
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3327.00
      10-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #73
MTTH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi |'18 440xi GranCoupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
A lot of weirdos on this forum. The fact that people will call a car being totaled a tragedy and in the same breath express that they don't care about the loss of life is very telling. Actually disgusting. Condolences to the family.
Appreciate 8
      10-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #74
dzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Austin Gelb DCT

First of all condoleances to the family!
Second, a 24 yrs old should not be allowed in a 620hp+ IMO (but maybe he was on his own financially).
After i wrecked my M4, i made a prof training and realised how bad i was as a driver (and i was 34, 2 yrs ago)
Appreciate 1
Wes335XI107.00
      10-14-2020, 03:25 PM   #75
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

I see there is a gofund me page.....

Kid unfortunately dies driving a 100+k car and they set up a gofund me?

Unless he is supporting his family, I dont get it
Appreciate 6
jch1511190.00
White3401385.00
PhatLyfe984.00
DG33068.50
      10-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #76
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
condolences to the young lad and his family..
idiotic but nothing equals a life..

on a side note, how would a 24 year old get insurance on an M car? at least here in AUS, you need to be above 30 to be able to get insurance and with some providers its 40 or above.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #77
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post

on a side note, how would a 24 year old get insurance on an M car? at least here in AUS, you need to be above 30 to be able to get insurance and with some providers its 40 or above.
Wait really that's a pretty crazy policy, never seen something like that before. Pretty sure in NA age is not restrictive. The car could just be insured/registered to the guy's parents as well or could be his own.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #78
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
There is a simple physic behind the speed and chance of survival:
if you crash your car to a solid subject like a tree or a wall at speed of 70, you would stop in 0.04 seconds and sustain an impact force of 100 g.
With speed of 85, it would be 120g.
It doesn't matter you have seatbelt or airbags or not, none of these G forces are survivable.
Two factors: speed, and what you are going to crash to. Trees and poles are the worst.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #79
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcai View Post
Quote:

Wait really that's a pretty crazy policy, never seen something like that before. Pretty sure in NA age is not restrictive. The car could just be insured/registered to the guy's parents as well or could be his own.
His age, the original price of the vehicle and the area he lived in tells me all I need to know; his parents bought him the car and he wasn't mature enough to handle the excessive amount of power.

I'm sorry to hear about the incident but this scenario is not really unique, it happens more often than what hit the news.

Funny enough, it's mostly involves a BMW.. Go figure 🤷🏻
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #80
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Have seen accident reports of people wearing seatbelts but due to the collision angle and speed can still snap their neck instantly.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #81
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I hadn't seen the pics inside. Driver compartment looks completely in tact/safe. The article doesn't mention seat belt, are we sure he wasn't wearing?

Honest question: who still drives without a seatbelt and do they somehow disable the annoying chime or is it actually worth it to their ego to deal with the chime to not buckle up?
You'd be surprised, I always find myself having to tell passengers to buckle up, aggravates me. Any moving car I get into, I engage seat-beat even if it's Uber. Thankfully I rarely have passengers. People are stupid.

PS. condolences to the deceased..
I have a friend that never buckles up because he said that he doesn't want to trapped in the car, incase of an accident

I just hate rolling around with him, so what I did is extended seatbelt gong for the passenger, via coding, until it annoys him into submission of strapping up..

Its tragic I have to play mind games to possible spare his life but it's what it is.
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      10-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #82
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

His age, the original price of the vehicle and the area he lived in tells me all I need to know; his parents bought him the car and he wasn't mature enough to handle the excessive amount of power.

I'm sorry to hear about the incident but this scenario is not really unique, it happens more often than what hit the news.

I don't think being young with a nice car means your parents bought it for you. My first car was a C300 at 18 and I got a C63 at 21. Someone people start working at a young age and some have different priorities where they can dump money into a car whereas others can't.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      10-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #83
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think being young with a nice car means your parents bought it for you. My first car was a C300 at 18 and I got a C63 at 21. Someone people start working at a young age and some have different priorities where they can dump money into a car whereas others can't.
A $100,000+ car works out to about $2,000 a month, plus NYC auto insurance for a 24 year old is like another $800 per month.

Yea, I'm not saying he couldn't of been a unique case that actually bought it himself but if I had to make an educated guess, based on my personal experience, my money is on that his parents helped him a smidget..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #84
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
Amazes me on how a 24yr kid could even get into a late model M5, abuse it, then destroys it! Entitlement at it's essence!.
Yep rich kids who can't drive and think they're invincible because they watched fast and furious 🤣
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #85
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Funny enough, it's mostly involves a BMW.. Go figure
yeah agree with you. I got my C200 at 20 and A3 at 22 and gone up since.. always on loan and managed to pay it with my salary..

In terms of insurance, that is what I was told when shopping around for my M4. I am in my 30s so some providers couldn't offer.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      10-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #86
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

yeah its what I found out here at least.. well parents owning / insuring the car might not help if you cannot nominate a driver under 30.. haha.. beats the point pretty much..

well if you are loaded and don't care.. who needs insurance..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:30 PM   #87
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
What in the world does this car wreck have to do with a gun being in the glove box?
US citizens have the gun as their personal protection but actually in the car it’s your seatbelt.

It was a bit of sarcasm..... my bad.
No worries - as a lifelong American I understood your sarcasm and don't disagree with it either. 2020 is truly a moment of truth for Americans - hope we don't F*ck it up...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:31 PM   #88
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
What in the world does this car wreck have to do with a gun being in the glove box?
US citizens have the gun as their personal protection but actually in the car it's your seatbelt.

It was a bit of sarcasm..... my bad.
No worries - as a lifelong American I understood your sarcasm and don't disagree with it either. 2020 is truly a moment of truth for Americans - hope we don't F*ck it up...
Or at least don't F*ck it more than we already have...
Appreciate 0