F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Businesses permanently damaged by Covid
Studio RSR

04-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #45
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Would you lose the deposit? I'm not familiar with lease contracts but if it was sale/PCP they have to deliver within 30 days of the estimated date otherwise you can give them 7 days notice, after which they must either deliver the car or cancel the contract and refund your deposit.
Yes I believe I would lose it. There doesn't appear to be anything firm about delivery dates in the contract, just an estimate. The deposit is only £360, plus I have already paid G2L a £198 arrangement fee, so the total cost would be £558 I believe.

The car still really appeals to me, even if it looks completely inappropriate for a post-virus world!
Fair enough. In the sale contract there's a clause in the small print on the back of the page, so I thought the lease might be the same.

Can't see anything wrong with an 8 in the future though. Much easier to socially distance in a big car surely
Appreciate 1
JD64305.50
      04-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #46
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Would you lose the deposit? I'm not familiar with lease contracts but if it was sale/PCP they have to deliver within 30 days of the estimated date otherwise you can give them 7 days notice, after which they must either deliver the car or cancel the contract and refund your deposit.
Just had a look at the order for my new one and Clause 11 says "If we fail to deliver the Goods within 42 days of the estimated delivery date, you may give us notice requiring delivery. If we fail to deliver within 14 days of receipt of such notice, you may give us notice cancelling the Agreement and clause 14 will apply". Clause 14 then goes on say "...if you cancel the Agreement pursuant to clause 11 we will refund your deposit and, provided the cancellation was due to circumstances beyond our reasonable control, we shall have no further liability to you".

The only issue I'd have with invoking any of this is the Estimated Delivery Date on my order is blank! However, given the discussions I'd had with the dealer regarding avoidance of the increased RFL, I think it would be reasonable to assume delivery was expected to take place by 31st March or very shortly after. Therefore, using the 42 days plus 14 days from their clause 11, I think if they can't deliver my car by the end of May I'd be within my rights to cancel and get my deposit back. Will see how things develop between now and then...
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #47
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In the financial crisis car/finance companies took a big hit on the GFV.

The other factor, future residual values dropped, I know from experience. Looking to take a new car in 2009/10, the exact same car spec', was going to cost over £100 a month more. Didn't make any sense to move on.

I feel a lot of folks won't be keen to renew cars so quickly, there may be a personal revaluation on how long it is sensible to run a car.
That's already how I see it Pete.

My F31 is already 7 years old and is owned outright. There's currently nothing seriously wrong with it, and with regular servicing and upkeep it could run forever.

The G21 looks very similar, the engines are similar, the in-car technology has moved-on a bit.

The difference is nowhere near as great as, say, when the 3-Series moved from the E46 Touring to the E91.

It's a little different in that the car has been heavily modified (and therefore cash locked into it), but I'm quite happy for my 7 year old car to keep going to 10+ years old. It's simply not worth it to me to substantially increase my costs just to have a current equivalent model.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #48
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In the financial crisis car/finance companies took a big hit on the GFV.

The other factor, future residual values dropped, I know from experience. Looking to take a new car in 2009/10, the exact same car spec', was going to cost over £100 a month more. Didn't make any sense to move on.

I feel a lot of folks won't be keen to renew cars so quickly, there may be a personal revaluation on how long it is sensible to run a car.

My F31 is already 7 years old and is owned outright. There's currently nothing seriously wrong with it, and with regular servicing and upkeep it could run forever.

The G21 looks very similar, the engines are similar, the in-car technology has moved-on a bit.

The difference is nowhere near as great as, say, when the 3-Series moved from the E46 Touring to the E91.

It's a little different in that the car has been heavily modified (and therefore cash locked into it), but I'm quite happy for my 7 year old car to keep going to 10+ years old. It's simply not worth it to me to substantially increase my costs just to have a current equivalent model.
I've been changing my cars every two or three years but I think that might change, especially as there probably won't be a like for like alternative when they stop making the Z4.

OH's E92 was 8 years old last week, owned from new. 108k miles, still looks great and passed it's MOT first time. It's cost £2k in the last 12 months, including a pair of new rear tyres.

The Z4 in other hand, is rapidly becoming a very expensive garden ornament
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #49
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:

Curious as to what makes you feel the E46 to E91 was such a big step? My first look around the E90 at it's launch was the most underwhelming new generation I recalled. Sorry, fairly off on a tangent I know!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #50
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Curious as to what makes you feel the E46 to E91 was such a big step? My first look around the E90 at it's launch was the most underwhelming new generation I recalled. Sorry, fairly off on a tangent I know!
I’d say the styling was a big jump. Taking aside whether you liked it or not, they looked nothing like. Not as big a change this time.

The F32 won’t look dated that quickly. In fact it definitely won’t now, if no one is able to buy the new one for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #51
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I’d say the styling was a big jump. Taking aside whether you liked it or not, they looked nothing like. Not as big a change this time.

The F32 won’t look dated that quickly. In fact it definitely won’t now, if no one is able to buy the new one for a while.
It was a big something.... I had an E46 320d MSport Touring and subsequently had a E90 330dSe saloon - I loved the 330 once I was in it but it didn’t have the looks of the E46....

The engine made up for it though and the LCI was better resolved...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #52
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I know we digress... For me the underpinnings made the E9x models a big step up. Front and rear suspensions moved the 3-series game on.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #53
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
I've been changing my cars every two or three years but I think that might change, especially as there probably won't be a like for like alternative when they stop making the Z4.

OH's E92 was 8 years old last week, owned from new. 108k miles, still looks great and passed it's MOT first time. It's cost £2k in the last 12 months, including a pair of new rear tyres.

The Z4 in other hand, is rapidly becoming a very expensive garden ornament
Tell me about it, my Z4 is gathering dust on the driveway at the moment. I'm itching to go for a nice drive with the roof down in this lovely sunny weather of late. But that would just be a selfish and needless thing to do in these times.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17608.50
      04-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #54
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Some of the later replies summit up pretty well - styling was obviously very different, engines started to open up a performance gap, interiors were much more up to date.

In terms of ride and handling I far preferred the E46, but it was a bit of a moot point because these were my company car days and we couldn't order 'old' models or change the reviled RFTs !
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #55
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some of the later replies summit up pretty well - styling was obviously very different, engines started to open up a performance gap, interiors were much more up to date.

In terms of ride and handling I far preferred the E46, but it was a bit of a moot point because these were my company car days and we couldn't order 'old' models or change the reviled RFTs !
It'll be interesting to see how well they last. OH's E46, aka the intergalactic shed, had 255k miles on it at the last count. If the E92 does that well, it should be good for another ten years at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #56
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Coronavirus: New UK car registrations plunge by more than 40% https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52176669
      04-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #57
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Coronavirus: New UK car registrations plunge by more than 40% https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52176669
And that’s March, wait until April’s are reported.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #58
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
And that’s March, wait until April’s are reported.
0-10% of normal trade I assume.

Italy's March figure was 15% I think.