BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    F90 Quick Install WMI

10-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

F90 Quick Install WMI

Was able to checkout BMS' new water/meth injection setup yesterday in person as Shift Sector and I have to say it is pretty clean.

The most challenging part to doing a kit with the F90 is finding a way to mount the nozzles without disassembling half the engine bay. Their setup is based around CNC machined quick install nozzle adapters that install the nozzles inside the balance tube holes, still allowing boost to equalize between banks using small holes machined in to the nozzle adapter.

The pump and tank can be mounted in the trunk like a traditional setup, you can rig a dedicated 1 gallon tank/pump in the passenger side cowl, or you can go really lazy and just zip-tie the pump in the cowl and attach it's pickup to your washer fluid tank. In theory you could tee in to it so the wipers still work but for their install they just unplugged the wiper line and plugged it in to the pump instead.

The JB4 controls the WMI flow, raises boost as a function of WMI, and reverts to lower boost if meth stops flowing, flows less than expected, etc. If using the wiper tank you even get a warning in dash if the tank is low. Best part is it's compatible with the factory flash or any aftermarket flash you want to run. Most guys doing WMI are more heavily modified so I expect a lot will already be flashed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fuel-It!; 10-28-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Bmw.mozambique
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Competion

looks good. how's the result so far?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw.mozambique View Post
It's hard to really quantify but appears to make 93 octane perform like race gas, as expected.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
F90BSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw.mozambique View Post
It's hard to really quantify but appears to make 93 octane perform like race gas, as expected.
Why would we want to install something when it's not quantifiable? I just don't understand that logic anymore. Let's spend some money and not know why...why isn't burger putting up numbers with and without meth since they have developed it?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
Why would we want to install something when it's not quantifiable? I just don't understand that logic anymore. Let's spend some money and not know why...why isn't burger putting up numbers with and without meth since they have developed it?
Making pump gas run like race gas quantifies it, that's all it's supposed to do. Maybe a tiny bit of added power from cooling the intake temps, but that's more of a positive side effect than reason people do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90BSM5 View Post
WMI effectively makes pump gas perform like race gas. But this kit is really intended for people who are familiar with WMI, have used it on other platforms, and are looking for a clean way to adapt it to their F90.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
WMI effectively makes pump gas perform like race gas. But this kit is really intended for people who are familiar with WMI, have used it on other platforms, and are looking for a clean way to adapt it to their F90.
I'm new to WMI and likely going to place an order for this sometime this week. Do you know if any testing via dragy or dyno? How are the JB4 maps used after this is installed? I only see one, map 8, that says it's under development for WMI. I'm not sure what that means.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #8
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I'm new to WMI and likely going to place an order for this sometime this week. Do you know if any testing via dragy or dyno? How are the JB4 maps used after this is installed? I only see one, map 8, that says it's under development for WMI. I'm not sure what that means.
You can set WMI to flow on all maps but by default it flows on map8 only, which is an adjustable boost target map as a function of meth flow.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Qtr.M.Power
Qatar
Rep

personally I'm using snow performance stage 2 with dual number 3 nozzles (175ml/min nozzle each) fix at the bottom of the coolers just before the throttle body on each side and that's that best setup for me (bigger Nozzles tested and failed because of too much methanol injected) tried Nozzles number 4,5 & 6 (225ml/min nozzle 375ml/min nozzle 625ml/min nozzle) all tested with dragy (100-200 Km) times and the best tell now is to get 0.4sec faster time than (non-meth setup) still working on start injection psi and max injection psi which is a pain
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtr.M.Power View Post
personally I'm using snow performance stage 2 with dual number 3 nozzles (175ml/min nozzle each) fix at the bottom of the coolers just before the throttle body on each side and that's that best setup for me (bigger Nozzles tested and failed because of too much methanol injected) tried Nozzles number 4,5 & 6 (225ml/min nozzle 375ml/min nozzle 625ml/min nozzle) all tested with dragy (100-200 Km) times and the best tell now is to get 0.4sec faster time than (non-meth setup) still working on start injection psi and max injection psi which is a pain
.4sec is a solid amount!

I just ordered this kit. Planning on taking it to a dyno after installing to get logs/check gains. Hopefully BMS can help me with the settings...
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Qtr.M.Power
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
.4sec is a solid amount!

I just ordered this kit. Planning on taking it to a dyno after installing to get logs/check gains. Hopefully BMS can help me with the settings...
Quote:
Quote:
.4sec is a solid amount!

Good luck 👍🏼
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #12
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
.4sec is a solid amount!

I'm sure they will just email them once it's setup
Appreciate 0