BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    F90 m5 exhaust button

08-05-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

F90 m5 exhaust button

Does anybody know if when pushing the exhaust button to "off" so the valves are closed, if this affects power output in anyway? I was thinking maybe reduced back pressure could result in less power, or maybe breathes less freely could result in lower power output when doing this. Anyone ever tested it?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Does anybody know if when pushing the exhaust button to "off" so the valves are closed, if this affects power output in anyway? I was thinking maybe reduced back pressure could result in less power, or maybe breathes less freely could result in lower power output when doing this. Anyone ever tested it?
I can't give you a scientific answer but I can tell you I am pretty sure if they are closed and you hit the throttle hard that they open. Not sure if that helps or not.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
I can't give you a scientific answer but I can tell you I am pretty sure if they are closed and you hit the throttle hard that they open. Not sure if that helps or not.
Thanks! Interesting, they probably do but I wasn't sure because the pops/burbles are 99% gone, but maybe when just hammering in a straight line it opens them up then closes again when off the gas so would that make sense in that case!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #4
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Interesting, they probably do but I wasn't sure because the pops/burbles are 99% gone, but maybe when just hammering in a straight line it opens them up then closes again when off the gas so would that make sense in that case!
According to the technical training manual, they seem to indicate the button can override the default engine settings:

"For this reason, the exhaust flaps can be influenced and closed independently of the engine dynamics control setting to Efficient, Sport or Sport+ via the sound button. By pressing the sound button, the sound produced can quickly be changed to a quieter exhaust sound without influencing the engine dynamics control settings."

If the valves are closed there is certainly more pressure so likely a slight impact on power, but can't imagine it's that much.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #5
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBark View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
According to the technical training manual, they seem to indicate the button can override the default engine settings:

"For this reason, the exhaust flaps can be influenced and closed independently of the engine dynamics control setting to Efficient, Sport or Sport+ via the sound button. By pressing the sound button, the sound produced can quickly be changed to a quieter exhaust sound without influencing the engine dynamics control settings."
Right so the question is, with the button pressed to have it off (light is off on exhaust button) and going full throttle, does valves open back up when flooring car, then close back again when foot is off throttle, then on again when on throttle but only all the way and not partial throttle.. etc I'd like to know exactly how it affects the valves when driving in different situations, and power if at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #6
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right so the question is, with the button pressed to have it off (light is off on exhaust button) and going full throttle, does valves open back up when flooring car, then close back again when foot is off throttle, then on again when on throttle but only all the way and not partial throttle.. etc I'd like to know exactly how it affects the valves when driving in different situations, and power if at all.
Yeah, it's really unclear on that but they make it sound like they would open on demand from the engine and revert to closed if the button is in the off position.

I believe the car can be in "sport" or "sport +", so the flaps are open, but the button would override the engine dynamic setting to close the valves, but not the engine demand-oriented software settings.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I have MPE and this button does nothing in comfort engine mode, it adds a very little bit of fake exhaust sound in engine sport mode, and adds some more exhaust sound in sport + whit pops and bangs. I have LCI and the ASD can not be completely coded off, but it is a lot less than standard. You really have to code off ASD to find out what the flap is doing with stock exhaust, otherwise you'll be just listening to ASD when you push the button.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep

I assume the button has nothing to do with open or close the valves, the valves will open or close base on throttle input in all engine modes, the only thing the button does is turn on and off ASD and turn pops and bangs on in sport + engine mode
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you really cannot code out ASD on a 2020+ model, you could unplug it. I unplugged the ASD on my 2018 (dealer later plugged it back in, but right after that I flashed with BM3 and it offered the option to turn ASD off).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyBHGM5 View Post
I have MPE and this button does nothing in comfort engine mode, it adds a very little bit of fake exhaust sound in engine sport mode, and adds some more exhaust sound in sport + whit pops and bangs. I have LCI and the ASD can not be completely coded off, but it is a lot less than standard. You really have to code off ASD to find out what the flap is doing with stock exhaust, otherwise you'll be just listening to ASD when you push the button.
The MPE doesn't have valves.. so the button doesn't do anything in any mode with it. 😀
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 08:29 PM   #11
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I assume the button has nothing to do with open or close the valves, the valves will open or close base on throttle input in all engine modes, the only thing the button does is turn on and off ASD and turn pops and bangs on in sport + engine mode
From the sound of mine with open windows when the button is in off position it certainly sounds a lot quieter also from outside the car just driving around at partial throttle vs on position. It's a 2018 m5. This seems to indicate valves are closed but not all the time, like at full throttle they will reopen again as needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #12
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you really cannot code out ASD on a 2020+ model, you could unplug it. I unplugged the ASD on my 2018 (dealer later plugged it back in, but right after that I flashed with BM3 and it offered the option to turn ASD off).
On 2020+ that module on the left side of trunk is gone, I wish I could have just unplugged it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #13
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
The button closes the valves when it's in the off position. MPE does not have valves so yours is always open.

Those with Msport exhaust have the valves open by default in sport and sport+ mode, and closed in comfort. Those values are overridden by the exhaust button, and (we think) the exhaust button is overridden by engine load.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The button closes the valves when it's in the off position. MPE does not have valves so yours is always open.

Those with Msport exhaust have the valves open by default in sport and sport+ mode, and closed in comfort. Those values are overridden by the exhaust button, and (we think) the exhaust button is overridden by engine load.
Has nothing to do with the exhaust. Only difference in "sport" is the mid pipe resonator. MPE doesn't have valves but the button will still take you out of any sport mode and reduce what you all call burbles and what bmw calls "overrun" which just means they dump excess gas into the cylinder exhaust cycle if I recall.

Exhaust button opens valves. Does not induce burbles by itself as that's a software thing and not a valve thing.

In sport mode and push exhaust button "off" will take you out of sport mode.

And yes you can code asd off in a 2020.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 09:09 PM   #15
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Has nothing to do with the exhaust. Only difference in "sport" is the mid pipe resonator. MPE doesn't have valves but the button will still take you out of any sport mode and reduce what you all call burbles and what bmw calls "overrun" which just means they dump excess gas into the cylinder exhaust cycle if I recall.

Exhaust button opens valves. Does not induce burbles by itself as that's a software thing and not a valve thing.

BMW's technical manual says all cars equipped with sport exhaust have the flaps open on sport and sport+. That's what I was referring to. I didn't mention burbles.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 06:59 PM   #16
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean exhaust button off takes you out of sport mode? The engine mode itself is still in sport or sport+ with the button off, it just turns off burbles on mpe which have no valves, and on regular exhaust closes and opens the valves which they do have,plus turns off burbles. Throttle response/shifting etc. regardless of button on or off will still be mapped according to whatever engine mode the car is in between efficient/sport/sport+
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:22 PM   #17
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

Quote:
The MPE doesn't have valves.. so the button doesn't do anything in any mode with it. 😀
True no valves in MPE but the button does cancel out pop/bangs and burbles when in sport +
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #18
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
What do you mean exhaust button off takes you out of sport mode? The engine mode itself is still in sport or sport+ with the button off, it just turns off burbles on mpe which have no valves, and on regular exhaust closes and opens the valves which they do have, plus turns off burbles. Throttle response/shifting etc. regardless of button on or off will still be mapped according to whatever engine mode the car is in between efficient/sport/sport+
If i am in Sport+ and i hit the exhaust button off, it kicks me out of sport+. that is what i meant.

I'll check again on my way home from work if you think that isn't accurate. i remember testing that some time ago after i had some exhaust work done because i loathe the fart can effect coming out of a $100k car. So i tried it and remember it taking me out of Sport+. its been awhile so maybe i miss remember.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #19
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean exhaust button off takes you out of sport mode? The engine mode itself is still in sport or sport+ with the button off, it just turns off burbles on mpe which have no valves, and on regular exhaust closes and opens the valves which they do have, plus turns off burbles. Throttle response/shifting etc. regardless of button on or off will still be mapped according to whatever engine mode the car is in between efficient/sport/sport+
If i am in Sport+ and i hit the exhaust button off, it kicks me out of sport+. that is what i meant.

I'll check again on my way home from work if you think that isn't accurate. i remember testing that some time ago after i had some exhaust work done because i loathe the fart can effect coming out of a $100k car. So i tried it and remember it taking me out of Sport+. its been awhile so maybe i miss remember.
My 2018 doesn't do that. All engine/steering/suspension modes stay the way they are, only the car becomes silent that's it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #20
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My 2018 doesn't do that. All engine/steering/suspension modes stay the way they are, only the car becomes silent that's it.
Maybe the sport+ setting is removed from the screen, but the car otherwise stays in your preset engine/steering/suspension/transmission settings? That would make sense, since the exhaust setting is no longer in its pre-determined sport+, valves open position.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #21
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the sport+ setting is removed from the screen, but the car otherwise stays in your preset engine/steering/suspension/transmission settings? That would make sense, since the exhaust setting is no longer in its pre-determined sport+, valves open position.
No I'm pretty sure the button is only affecting the exhaust valves/noise itself independently from Engine/steering/suspension settings it's completely seperate and has nothing to do with them. You will still have the same throttle response as sport+ always gives with exhaust button off for example, just without all the extra noises.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #22
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No I'm pretty sure the button is only affecting the exhaust valves/noise itself independently from Engine/steering/suspension settings it's completely seperate and has nothing to do with them. You will still have the same throttle response as sport+ always gives with exhaust button off for example, just without all the extra noises.
This is correct, I have M2 set everything sport+, and when I don't want exhaust pops I just press the exhaust button to turn it off, all settings still remain as sport +, the M2 on instrument cluster no long stay lit but this doesn't mean drivetrain settings are changed.
Appreciate 1