BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Added CarPlay......2018 car....

08-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Added CarPlay......2018 car....

So, I found a work around for my connectivity issues, in the form of 'Doh, use the PodCast app. That works great. No drops.

Then I got interested in seeing if the CarPlay version of Rush24/7 works with the car. So I figured what the hell, I'll add CarPlay ($300 for 20 years subscription).

Yes apps work..no disconnect....but more importantly I am not quite sure why all the negative comments about CarPlay? Yes, you cannot read your text messages, but you have to have Siri read them to you, other than that it works pretty well. I'll miss that functionality but the rest is ok.

For those who don't know....

CarPlay in the BMW uses WiFi to connect, I did not know that until I set it up.

Use of Apple's natives apps is very well done but for some limitations.

The buttons on the console for Com, Nav etc, now bring up the apple app on the dash.

Being able to see the visuals for phone list is much nicer on this app than on the BMW built in app, but you cannot DIAL from the keypad on the display, THAT IS LAME! Touch Screen Dialing is handy...

Apples PodCast program similarly shows your playlists nicer than the built in car app.

I have not played with Waze or Google Maps yet, but plan on this. Also I installed Amazon Music, so with my onboard music, XM Radio, Apple Music, and Amazon Music I think I have music covered.

So, Valentine One, where is YOUR version of your program that works with CarPlay? That would be cool!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

I kind of have a related question. So I have CarPlay for my Apple phone. I have a 18 M5. I’m assuming not all models came with CarPlay.

My question is, when I make an Instagram video, it doesn’t pick up the Music that’s playing on my iPhone? Also, when I want to use my phone camera for a video and start recording, the music stops? Is there any way around this? I ask because when I make an IG video or phone video it would be nice to have the music playing on the background.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
ResidualJinx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
So, I found a work around for my connectivity issues, in the form of 'Doh, use the PodCast app. That works great. No drops.

Then I got interested in seeing if the CarPlay version of Rush24/7 works with the car. So I figured what the hell, I'll add CarPlay ($300 for 20 years subscription).

Yes apps work..no disconnect....but more importantly I am not quite sure why all the negative comments about CarPlay? Yes, you cannot read your text messages, but you have to have Siri read them to you, other than that it works pretty well. I'll miss that functionality but the rest is ok.

For those who don't know....

CarPlay in the BMW uses WiFi to connect, I did not know that until I set it up.

Use of Apple's natives apps is very well done but for some limitations.

The buttons on the console for Com, Nav etc, now bring up the apple app on the dash.

Being able to see the visuals for phone list is much nicer on this app than on the BMW built in app, but you cannot DIAL from the keypad on the display, THAT IS LAME! Touch Screen Dialing is handy...

Apples PodCast program similarly shows your playlists nicer than the built in car app.

I have not played with Waze or Google Maps yet, but plan on this. Also I installed Amazon Music, so with my onboard music, XM Radio, Apple Music, and Amazon Music I think I have music covered.

So, Valentine One, where is YOUR version of your program that works with CarPlay? That would be cool!

Mike
It doesn't work consistently enough on my vehicle with my iPhone Xs. Hopefully you have a better experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

CarPlay is amazing, never had issues with it in my '19. Don't use any other features of the idrive, except having the XM play in the background while using Waze. And sometimes I check the weather forecast through idrive. Otherwise CarPlay all the way
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Only the native Nav program can use the Heads up display. But you can switch to the native Nav program instead of you iPhone Nav choice easily. But cannot run both at the same time for turn by turn.

Waze with CarPlay is pretty interesting but they have some clean up to do on a few items. Marking road construction in Waze is too many presses, Police is just two clicks.

I still would rather be able to read my messages myself, but not a big deal.

The interface is very nice for viewing playlists on iTunes and Podcast program.

Overall, it's a plus.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanoM5 View Post
I kind of have a related question. So I have CarPlay for my Apple phone. I have a 18 M5. I’m assuming not all models came with CarPlay.

My question is, when I make an Instagram video, it doesn’t pick up the Music that’s playing on my iPhone? Also, when I want to use my phone camera for a video and start recording, the music stops? Is there any way around this? I ask because when I make an IG video or phone video it would be nice to have the music playing on the background.
It's an add on purchase, but some cars came with it on the sticker.

Go to https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ap...x.html#/portal to log in and access your car's profile. You will need you VIN number to associate your car with your account. Then you will see all sorts of information. You can add CarPlay from that menu. You can also browse extended warrantee info etc.

Your second question is over my head. LOL

Mike

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanoM5 View Post
My question is, when I make an Instagram video, it doesn’t pick up the Music that’s playing on my iPhone?
Also, when I want to use my phone camera for a video and start recording, the music stops? Is there any way around this? I ask because when I make an IG video or phone video it would be nice to have the music playing on the background.
This is normal iPhone operation. If you are recording a video with your phone, it stops playing music because the engineers figure you want to record what's actually happening around you. If you want to add a soundtrack later, that is possible in video editing software.

If you want to make your Instagram video mad woke so the tweens give you all the likes, what's easier is probably playing music through your car's audio without the phone being connected, and only then recording a video with your phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
YanoM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Individual Nardo M5

If anyone is wondering or cares I found the hack. On your camera go to like you’re taking a picture and hold down the button, it will activate the video and capture the video and the music playing in the background even while connected to CarPlay. For iPhones at least.

If you want to gram for the tweens lol you’ll have to run the music via Bluetooth to make a vid and get the music playing at the same time.
Appreciate 0