F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > G2CaliperPaint Review - DIY Blue M-Performance Calipers
proTUNING Freaks

10-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

G2CaliperPaint Review - DIY Blue M-Performance Calipers

So it took me a while finding the perfect 340i coming from a f30 328i. I have every option I wanted besides the Blue Brake Calipers. So to fix this, I installed G2CaliperPaint to get the same Estroil Blue Brake Calipers like the Mperformance brakes (granted its not the same brake performance but aesthetics is what Im going for).

I choose G2Paint over VHT(and other spray can brand), mostly because of the brush on application (no overspray) and the 2part epoxy paint (not to mention they Color Match Estroil Blue). The application was super simple and the end product is totally worth the cost.

I essentially took off the wheels and put the car on jackstands, cleaned the brake calipers with a wire brush and supplied brake parts cleaner. I let it all dry and masked off some of the parts of the calipers I did not want paint on (bleeder, rubber parts and the discs obviously). The application was super easy and with the Estroil Blue the coverage of paint was excellent (had full coverage on 2nd coat, but I did 4 coats total). That said, even with 4 full coats I had about half the paint left over.

If you guys are looking to change your caliper color id definitely look into G2CaliperPaint. (before painting I checked and found Estroil Blue to be a near perfect match of OEM M-Performance Blue calipers).

Link to what I bought: http://www.g2usa.com/product/CBCP-335.html

Here are the results (the outside shots are before and after):
Attached Images

Last edited by drivef30; 10-03-2019 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4552.50
      10-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
So it took me a while finding the perfect 340i coming from a f30 328i. I have every option I wanted besides the Blue Brake Calipers. So to fix this, I installed G2CaliperPaint to get the same Estroil Blue Brake Calipers like the Mperformance brakes (granted its not the same brake performance but aesthetics is what Im going for).

I choose G2Paint over VHT(and other spray can brand), mostly because of the brush on application (no overspray) and the 2part epoxy paint. The application was super simple and the end product is totally worth the cost.

I essentially took off the wheels and put the car on jackstands, cleaned the brake calipers with a wire brush and supplied brake parts cleaner. I let it all dry and masked off some of the parts of the calipers I did not want paint on (bleeder, rubber parts and the discs obviously). The application was super easy and with the Estroil Blue the coverage of paint was excellent (had full coverage on 2nd coat, but I did 4 coats total). That said, even with 4 full coats I had about half the paint left over.

If you guys are looking to change your caliper color id definitely look into G2CaliperPaint. (Estroil Blue is a near perfect match of OEM M-Performance Blue calipers, I verified this at the dealership after I was done lol).

Nice review. G2 Caliper Paint is great stuff. You did an excellent job. That's the first time I've seen their Estoril Blue.

Here are a couple things I'd add just from my experience with G2.
1) painting in the air temp range in the G2 instructions is critical to get those great results of a sprayed on finish look. If it's just a little too warm, the G2 will get gloppy on the brush.
2) Formula 409 cleaner works great to wire brush the rust and clean off brake dust. Finish with brake cleaner.
3) Harbor Freight sells a pack of 36 of those silver handled brushes for like $3.
4) G2 Silver Caliper Paint works great on rusty brake rotor hats. See photo. I painted just the sides of the hats because I read not to paint between the wheel mounting surface and brake rotor hat because it can compress and effect wheel bolt torque

Again, great job and review!
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      10-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

I choose G2Paint over VHT(and other spray can brand), mostly because of the brush on application (no overspray) and the 2part epoxy paint. The application was super simple and the end product is totally worth the cost.

If you guys are looking to change your caliper color id definitely look into G2CaliperPaint. (Estroil Blue is a near perfect match of OEM M-Performance Blue calipers, I verified this at the dealership after I was done lol).

Nice review. G2 Caliper Paint is great stuff. You did an excellent job. That's the first time I've seen their Estoril Blue.

Here are a couple things I'd add just from my experience with G2.
1) painting in the air temp range in the G2 instructions is critical to get those great results of a sprayed on finish look. If it's just a little too warm, the G2 will get gloppy on the brush.
2) Formula 409 cleaner works great to wire brush the rust and clean off brake dust. Finish with brake cleaner.
3) Harbor Freight sells a pack of 36 of those silver handled brushes for like $3.
4) G2 Silver Caliper Paint works great on rusty brake rotor hats. See photo. I painted just the sides of the hats because I read not to paint between the wheel mounting surface and brake rotor hat because it can compress and effect wheel bolt torque

Again, great job and review!
Photos show: G2 Black on calipers. G2 Silver on sides of rotor hats. Also a great source for caliper decals.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Photos show: G2 Black on calipers. G2 Silver on sides of rotor hats. Also a great source for caliper decals.
johnung Dont think the photo linked. However I definitely agree to follow G2 instructions on the temp (also the paint definitely doesn't save, turned into the punk in the morning as G2 said it would with the hardener mixed in). Thanks for the other tips aswell, it was my first time using G2 and I was certainly impressed being that I had zero skills. With the g2 brush I feel like the bristles shed off easily but with the paint leveling I cant tell in the finished job. Did this happen with Harbor Freight brushes?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
johnung Dont think the photo linked. However I definitely agree to follow G2 instructions on the temp (also the paint definitely doesn't save, turned into the punk in the morning as G2 said it would with the hardener mixed in). Thanks for the other tips aswell, it was my first time using G2 and I was certainly impressed being that I had zero skills. With the g2 brush I feel like the bristles shed off easily but with the paint leveling I cant tell in the finished job. Did this happen with Harbor Freight brushes?
What is the recommendation on ambient temp? I don't see it listed on their site? I want to do it but it's getting cold in my area fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:14 AM   #6
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK335iMSPT View Post
What is the recommendation on ambient temp? I don't see it listed on their site? I want to do it but it's getting cold in my area fast.
They recommend 56-70f in low humidity. I uploaded some new photos, which include the instructions if you want to check them out.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Will this paint be able to handle brake system temperatures associated with tracking the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Will this paint be able to handle brake system temperatures associated with tracking the car?
Only one way to find out! Of all the paints I've researched I would think that the two-part G2 has the best chance of surviving race temperatures. Check their websites for temp specs. I saw what racing does to the stock blue paint on M Sport calipers. The heat turned half of the caliper a greenish color.

Powder coating is another option but I'm not sure what the high temperature specs on powder coating are. I know that Brembo promotes their paint process over powder coating.

Oh, also the color chosen also has an effect. I recall a powder coating guy telling me that silver is the worst color to put on a brake caliper because it won't hold up.

Another option for high heat race calipers would be to ceramic coat them. Less color options but heat would have no effect. I have photos of my downpipe ceramic coated and a photo of ceramic coating color samples. But I haven't been about to upload a photo to Bimmerpost for the past day or two since they were down for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The Harbor Freight brushes were about the same quality. (They are great throw away brushes to apply glue, etc) With any paint brush I usually "paint" back and forth hard against my other hand a bunch of times to get rid of any potentially loose bristles before dipping it into paint. That usually gets most of them before they become a problem.
Appreciate 0