BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #1
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Why do you trust DAP when they cannot get iPhone charger right?

I am just not feeling safe when using the DAP , highway hands free mode, when I am reminded again today that they didn't do well in the new feature of an iPhone charger.

It seemed that they never got it right and wasn't able to take into consideration new situations, aka new iPhones...

When using the DAP, I am supposed to be relaxed. But instead, I am even more vigilant than I was driving it myself...

I know I am thinking too much but only takes one accident to justify my anxiety...
Appreciate 1
Mattl08061007.00
      10-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #2
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
I used DAPP for thousands of miles on my last X5 (‘22)with no issues and so far on our X7. I’m always paying attention with my hand on the steering wheel. It’s been safer than our Tesla on autopilot.

The iPhone overheating is on Apple IMO. But BMW should have provided a fan to cool it down somehow.

Totally different issues.
Appreciate 6
tooloud10796.50
volodp199.50
X6ix GTA142.00
aMIC31.00
      10-01-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

I switched to Android many years ago. Just do it, problem solved.
Appreciate 1
915M88.00
      10-01-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

This is an embarrassingly nonsensical inference to arrive at. My phone is overheating, therefore DAP will break? My iPhone also overheats on my Lexus’ wireless charger… so the driver assistance will fail on that car also? I’ve heard it’s also common amongst all car brands such as Honda and Ford and it actually comes down to phone specs (Apple vs android). Based on your logic, we should all sell our cars, regardless of brand, for our own safety. There’s way too much shit posting like this on the G05 forum.
Appreciate 22
      10-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I’ve done 10k miles on my 45e with the driver aids and never encountered a situation where it got confused and I didn’t easily recover from. The fact that it keeps me perfectly centered in the lane 99.9% of the time more than makes up for any minor flaws.
      10-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #6
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwhale View Post
I am just not feeling safe when using the DAP , highway hands free mode, when I am reminded again today that they didn't do well in the new feature of an iPhone charger.

It seemed that they never got it right and wasn't able to take into consideration new situations, aka new iPhones...

When using the DAP, I am supposed to be relaxed. But instead, I am even more vigilant than I was driving it myself...

I know I am thinking too much but only takes one accident to justify my anxiety...
My Android phone is overheating in Porsche Taycan wireless charger tray. No wounder why these cars are so unreliable these days.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
This is an embarrassingly nonsensical inference to arrive at. My phone is overheating, therefore DAP will break? My iPhone also overheats on my Lexus’ wireless charger… so the driver assistance will fail on that car also? I’ve heard it’s also common amongst all car brands such as Honda and Ford and it actually comes down to phone specs (Apple vs android). Based on your logic, we should all sell our cars, regardless of brand, for our own safety. There’s way too much shit posting like this on the G05 forum.
I’ve been seeing a lot of this type of activity lately - totally agree with you
Appreciate 3
JMD646.50
Giggler408.00
      10-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #8
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

https://www.wsj.com/tech/personal-te...pdate-514ed717

Quote:
Apple to Address iPhone 15 Overheating Issues in iOS 17 Software Update
The company says the new titanium design has no impact on heat and attributes the issue to bugs
Apple knows about overheating, and there is no word there that it's a BMW or other car problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:05 PM   #9
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
https://www.wsj.com/tech/personal-te...pdate-514ed717

Apple knows about overheating, and there is no word there that it's a BMW or other car problem.
My 14 got too hot in that little cavern too. So does my kid’s 12 mini. It’s just logical that you need some room to dissipate heat as the byproduct of wireless charging is heat generation (I believe due to inefficiencies relative to wired charging). I’ve even had wireless charging stands with built in fans for that reason. That was in the early Qi days, admittedly.

I don’t think BMW thought this charging pad design through. It’s not a matter of life and death — and it just allowed them to check that spec box by putting something in the vehicle. While I’m frustrated with that, in no way does it affect my trust in DAPP. Reputations of manufacturers will be made or broken on the efficacy and safety of these types of systems, not their wireless charging pads.

That being said, DAPP is far from perfect and I stay vigilant while using it. I think that’s just common sense as all these systems mature and are prone to potential errors. But I do really enjoy it when on the right road.

If you don’t trust it, that’s totally fine. Just don’t use it, as you will not enjoy the experience. Wait for further advancements and maybe down the road (no pun intended) it will feel trustworthy to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 10:26 PM   #10
sbc-yyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2018 Q5, 2018 P100D

Quote:
...When using the DAP, I am supposed to be relaxed. But instead, I am even more vigilant than I was driving it myself...
You ARE supposed to be vigilant when using Driving "Assistance" because it's assistance and not "Autonomy".

And an unrelated feature like wireless charging doesn't work to your expectation and you stop trusting a completely different feature? Either get some professional mental health professional to help you with your anxiety, or get a chauffeur.
Appreciate 2
mojoJJ269.50
X3_Alaska161.50
      10-01-2023, 10:32 PM   #11
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

No issues with my S23 ultra wireless charging. Its not the car, its the phone.
Appreciate 1
Vak33134.00
      10-02-2023, 05:25 AM   #12
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
I’ve been seeing a lot of this type of activity lately - totally agree with you
I feel like it's just trying to make a problem out of anything to have a reason for being mad and reach extreme conclusions. There's people on this forum who have vowed to never buy a BMW again for the most ridiculous reasons. Better even those who are soooo happy they bought the old pre-LCI model because of the //////X5 next to the dash or the shifter being gone. Or others saying they would get rid of a car IMMEDIATELY if it even had one tiny issue within the first 20,000mi. It's hilarious. (I've always felt like Germans/Swiss/Austrians enjoy complaining about minor things but honestly they have nothing on what's going on around here. )

Sometimes I imagine what it would be like living in a world that would warrant the standards some guys on here seem to have.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 05:52 AM   #13
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Let’s all agree the OP didn’t draw the reasons for their feelings from the right place. But, in reality there are many who feel similar to them and are just not ready / need to become comfortable with - semi / autonomous driving.

Let’s stop hating because they related this to a cell phone charger - it’s a silly inference but it’s not the root case.

Their feelings are totally acceptable here and they are not being irrational saying the x5 sucks, worst car ever , I’ll never buy another one. Saying they don’t feel comfortable with giving up some control bc the risks are catastrophic is totally normal and reasonable!!!
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2023, 06:03 AM   #14
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Furthermore - I can sympathize - I tried DAP a few times and after a couple instances of it doing things i thought it should not - driving on shoulders and just not handling non conventional areas well - I was done - it just could no longer serve the purpose it was intended to (for me - being the key point here).

Autonomous driving is no doubt the future but it will take time for both computers and people to get there.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #15
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Furthermore - I can sympathize - I tried DAP a few times and after a couple instances of it doing things i thought it should not - driving on shoulders and just not handling non conventional areas well - I was done - it just could no longer serve the purpose it was intended to (for me - being the key point here).

Autonomous driving is no doubt the future but it will take time for both computers and people to get there.
After using now for some many miles now i've learnt how its going to react to certain road conditions and tend to take over then before i know its going to react.

I also dont use the adjust speed to road condition, or the new functionality that tells you your lane is about to end and you need to move over. I've found these two functions more trouble than they are worth.

The rest of it seems to work really well though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:18 AM   #16
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Hard pass on DAPP here, too, after we wasted a bunch of money on it. I'd happily trade it for side mirrors that are large enough to actually perform their function.

Mark
1988 4Runner on 40's - Off-road trailer queen
2001 PSD Excursion - The slave that drags the queen
Appreciate 1
Mattl08061007.00
      10-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #17
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Hard pass on DAPP here, too, after we wasted a bunch of money on it. I'd happily trade it for side mirrors that are large enough to actually perform their function.

Mark
Without DAP you also don't have the ACC though, which works almost flawless. (Besides some other features.) In Europe you don't even get the autonomous driving (one of the first allowed to do it is the new i5 that was approved by the authorities to be enabled next November. I hope the G05 LCI will be enabled at some point as well) and I would still get the DAP any day of the week just for the ACC alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:00 AM   #18
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

People not be trusting the phone charger or DAPP but don't bother acknowledging that a computer is still running the input to the electric steering and gas pedal. If the car wanted to kill you it wouldn't need DAPP.
      10-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #19
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:

What?

- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #20
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I hate ACC. If I approach traffic I want to pass them, not drive their speed. I use CC a lot on trips, and am perfectly happy managing my speed with it.

ACC is easier to disable on my GX, requiring just a long press of a single button. However, I drove the X5 2200 miles in a week last month, and quickly got used to the two-button dance to get to plain ol' CC.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:26 AM   #21
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Keeping my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel is a small inconvenience for me. Fundamentally, I'm a very boring person with very little in my life worth distracting my attention from driving.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 11:33 AM   #22
bimmerwhale
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
People not be trusting the phone charger or DAPP but don't bother acknowledging that a computer is still running the input to the electric steering and gas pedal. If the car wanted to kill you it wouldn't need DAPP.
Again, I am not basing judgement on the charger alone. I posted earlier that hands free driving wasn't provided even on Tesla. That's what it made me feel uncomfortable when the best AI firm couldn't do hands free but somehow BMW can do it now.

I bought the gas version 2024 X5 because I believe this is where BMW shines, gas cars not electric cars. Under the California law and many other states, gas cars have 10 years before phasing out. So this could well be the best last 10 years to own and enjoy the best gas car ever built.

Same logic for the AI features -- I would prefer it to be a mature tech before I bet my safety on it. I tried the DAP a few times it works fine as it should. But as a new AI feature, I am not convinced that it's better than Tesla's AI.
Appreciate 0