Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

ESS S55 STAGE 1 t550 ECU Flash Tune

http://esstuning.com/s55-stage-1-t55...-ecu-software/

Main reason i'm looking at this is (and keep in mind i'm new to this please)

- it's conservative and will not prevent any OEM warnings or functions
- from what i've been reading some ECU tunes are tolerated by dealers, whereas piggy backs are not. If they're conservative and i'm upfront about it, what are people's experiences with their dealers? - see this thread for example - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1165090
- obviously these are warranty concerns and i dont want to automatically void my entire warranty
- i'm also planning on coding and while it's frowned upon my dealer specifically said any tune or coding, if they can prove it caused the problem, will void the warranty. That's fair enough i just don't want it voided out of hand.

Thoughts on those points from people more experienced than me. I'm after both technical AND practical views on warranty and servicing. Real world likelihoods sort of thing.

Also just generally interested to learn pros and cons of tunes and learn a bit more. most of the info is a bit outdated and i know it moves fast.

Last edited by sleeprequired; 10-03-2017 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
krotondo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW/Full SO M3 ZCP

you tune you void, its pretty black and white
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotondo View Post
not from what i'm reading. it's more like if your tune is proven to cause the issue then you void. I'm also after the practical real world experience. How many people have tuned brand new cars and had their warranty voided.

Love to hear some experiences out there..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

If you're going to go through the trouble of cracking open your DME and risking warranty, you might as well go BM3 and get some custom tuning (conservatively).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
If you're going to go through the trouble of cracking open your DME and risking warranty, you might as well go BM3 and get some custom tuning (conservatively).
yeah I was reading about it but honestly it’s a wicked learning curve and I don’t really understand it. For me I’m looking for something very conservative so that it would be difficult to argue the tune caused any issue with a warranty claim etc.

For example I’m getting midpipes and accept that obviously once the exhaust is cut they’re not going to warranty a related issue. Just trying to extrapolate which tune method is best. Maybe Dinan because they will warranty. Not sure how much that costs in Australia though. I would be prepared to pay a premium for something that covers me under BMW or other warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
yeah I was reading about it but honestly it’s a wicked learning curve and I don’t really understand it. For me I’m looking for something very conservative so that it would be difficult to argue the tune caused any issue with a warranty claim etc.

For example I’m getting midpipes and accept that obviously once the exhaust is cut they’re not going to warranty a related issue. Just trying to extrapolate which tune method is best. Maybe Dinan because they will warranty. Not sure how much that costs in Australia though. I would be prepared to pay a premium for something that covers me under BMW or other warranty.
Not really, you only need to learn how to flash and datalog. Not hard at all. BM3 is very easy to use, you don't need extensive tuning experience to do the basics.

As for Dinan, that's a piggyback and frankly, a waste of money - you're better off staying stock.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1754.50
      10-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I wonder if there’s anyone in aus or anywhere prepares to do a remote session showing me how it works to pull the mystery out of it.

I’d go that route if I really understood it ....

Well, I guess stock is an option. At the moment it’s the ESS stage 1 which is considered conservative. I’m just concerned what’s done on BM3 won’t be as well tested and thought out as the ESS settings.

I really don’t know enough to work out if the settings are intelligent choices or not. Sure I can lod them but I don’t undetand enough if the option I choose is as good, better, or downright damaging.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

Quote:

They won't have to prove the tune caused the problem - the mere presence of the tune, that is enough for them to deny coverage. If there is an engine/drivetrain-related problem, you can bet they will not warranty it if tuned. It will be up to YOU to argue with them and try to prove the tune didn't cause the problem. That will involve escalating to BMW corporate, etc... Depending on the issue, if you are loud enough, they may fold and fix it... but there is no assurance of this...

If you are going to play (conservative, or not), be ready to pay. Period.

/
2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #9
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired
For me I’m looking for something very conservative so that it would be difficult
to argue the tune caused any issue with a warranty claim etc...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if there’s anyone in aus or anywhere prepares to do a remote session
showing me how it works to pull the mystery out of it.

If you're interested, we have a wonderful dealer in Melbourne who is a
Certified Installer for HEX Tuning and can show you how the unlocking
process works, and how convenient our MAP switching process is.

If you're looking to start with something "conservative" you can easily
start with our ZCP Power Level file, which gives you all of the ZCP/GTS
acoustic features, along with the modest power bump that the Competition
package car receives from the factory.

From there you can decide if this was enough of an improvement to satisfy
you desire for more power, or upgrade to our Stage ONE all on your own,
through the OBDII Port.

Once your ECU is unlocked, all flashing activities will take place through the
OBDII Port; none of which will require "testing" or "data-logging" on your own.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotondo View Post
This. Once you're tuned and they find out, they can blame the tune as the culprit for everything. It really is black and white. Not all dealers are honest and upfront about everything (as you may know by now). What most people do is find a (select few) reputable SA's that's known to work on tuned cars. Post in your local section to find your nearest SA.

Piggy back or Flash makes no different in the risk of losing your warrantee. But if you do decide to upgrade, you wont regret with either jb4 OR bm3. Just dont waste your money on dinan.

Goodluck!

-Oh and just to give you a little context. I bought my 17zcp and installed the jb4/downpipe right after break-in. Now that I'm getting into e85, the only think that's out of the way is changing my plugs to colder ones. There's been 0 side effects or issues. I noticed malfunction errors / codes seem to appear for people reaching 550+whp
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #11
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So I was talking to a dealer in Melbourne who does ESS STAGE 1 Tuning and apparently it’s and ECU tune which doesn’t access the DME so it won’t leave a tamper code? Is that correct assuming I’ve said it right?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:43 AM   #12
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
So I was talking to a dealer in Melbourne who does ESS STAGE 1 Tuning and apparently it’s and ECU tune which doesn’t access the DME so it won’t leave a tamper code? Is that correct assuming I’ve said it right?
They'd be referring to the ESS stage 1 piggyback surely in that sense I would think.... any flash unlocks the DME as far as I know.... dunno.

As for warranty, you are correct in your thoughts for the laws covering warranty in Australia, however running an engine "outside of factory specs" can be used against a warrant claim for the majority of your driveline. Denying a claim on a suspension part because of a tune is however something we are protected from here in Oz.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
If you're interested, we have a wonderful dealer in Melbourne who is a

If you're looking to start with something "conservative" you can easily
start with our ZCP Power Level file, which gives you all of the ZCP/GTS
acoustic features, along with the modest power bump that the Competition
package car receives from the factory.

From there you can decide if this was enough of an improvement to satisfy
you desire for more power, or upgrade to our Stage ONE all on your own,
through the OBDII Port.

Once your ECU is unlocked, all flashing activities will take place through the
OBDII Port; none of which will require "testing" or "data-logging" on your own.
PM dealer name please
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #14
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley74 View Post
They'd be referring to the ESS stage 1 piggyback surely in that sense I would think.... any flash unlocks the DME as far as I know.... dunno.

As for warranty, you are correct in your thoughts for the laws covering warranty in Australia, however running an engine "outside of factory specs" can be used against a warrant claim for the majority of your driveline. Denying a claim on a suspension part because of a tune is however something we are protected from here in Oz.
It’s ESS T550 tune ECU flash but doesn’t unlock DME. That’s what I’ve been told

Also they say the ess tune is within factory efficiency guidelines. Again I’m not an expert, that’s why I’m canvassing you guys

Last edited by sleeprequired; 10-04-2017 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #15
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post
[COLOR="Blue"][INDENT][INDENT]If you're interested, we have a wonderful dealer in Melbourne who is a
That’s a very generous offer thank you. Does this tune leave a tamper code? Ie on the DME?

I really don’t want that going to BMW Germany apparently it gets logged against the VIN.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #16
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep

Quote:
SouthernBM?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
No way to flash these locked ECU's with non-factory flash tools. They have to be unlocked first. To flash the ECU it has to be removed from the vehicle, which takes a few hours as located under the intake manifold. Then the ECU is opened on the bench and cracked. It can be flagged as 'tampered' if plugged in for general diagnostics at your dealer.

Process is here:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1264155

Thanks Roadrunner - this is the point of contention. I have one source saying it will flag a tamper code, and another source saying it won’t. I genuinely feel both sources believe what they’re saying and I know both have good intentions but one has to be wrong.

No disrespect intended to anyone at my end of course

They are saying it will not be marked as tampered, that is if you do the mapping functionality via the DME, which stage one does not do.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Ask ESS directly? Ask local agent if they guarantee it won't be flagged?

Interested to know.
ESS will not trigger a tamper code. However, no tune is 100% invisible from dealer if they are actively searching for it.

Quote:
DME is unlocked during the flashing process (DME must be pulled to unlock like all flash-based tunes). With optional E-Flash cable, tunes can be reflashed in seconds if needed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
So the ESS bench flash process doesn't unlock the ECU?
Was adding to my post above yours, ESS flash unlocks the DME.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #20
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

so I'm not up on all the technical jargon. Am i right to go or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

***SORRY TUNERS*** I think it's really very black and white. If you want to 100% keep your warranty, don't do it.

/
2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
so I'm not up on all the technical jargon. Am i right to go or not?
If you are looking to tune, yes. Either visit SouthernBM for unlocking/flashing or send the DME to us.

Keep in mind that no 3rd party part (including tunes) are exempt by factory warranty. If this is a concern for you, it may be best to wait until warranty period is over.

Appreciate 0