BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #1
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Apple pay pops up with no reason while charging

Does anyone have an issue when your car always tries to open Apple Pay with no reason when the phone is in the charging tray? Any solutions to prevent this? I drive 2021 45e.

Same issue at these:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1979012
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1633455
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 04:42 PM   #2
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Mine always does that and it’s super annoying! To make matters worse, the phone only holds its charge but does not increase the charge when put on the charging tray. At least it doesn’t lose battery, I guess.
Appreciate 1
ksavostin129.00
      05-12-2024, 06:00 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
is it Apple Pay popping up or the Digital Wallet since the Digital Key is also stored there?

still, the tray has the NFC receiver, so if it senses an NFC transmitter such as your iPhone, it’s gonna pop up as it thinks there’s a transaction about to happen (though there isn’t any)

there are a number of ways to disable Apple Pay/Wallet. two are shown below but can’t confirm if they’ll stop the behavior you’re experiencing. (I rarely put my phone in the tray, so I don’t know if it does the same thing.)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 08:33 PM   #4
blockhead25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Believe it is the NFC chip that is setting it off. No idea what you can do about it, but that does sound highly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
matowi
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
is it Apple Pay popping up or the Digital Wallet since the Digital Key is also stored there?

still, the tray has the NFC receiver, so if it senses an NFC transmitter such as your iPhone, it’s gonna pop up as it thinks there’s a transaction about to happen

there are a number of ways to disable Apple Pay/Wallet. two are shown below but can’t confirm if they’ll stop the behavior you’re experiencing. (I rarely put my phone in the tray, so I don’t know if it does the same thing.)
My iPhone shows the Wallet cards every time I enter the car, not even in the tray. I believe it's its way to confirm that communication with the car is established, and I really don't pay any attention to it. Just put my phone on (not in...) the cupholder area, or in the armrest storage, and forget about it until I leave the car. No transactions are performed anyway (facial recognition would be needed to confirm payments, etc.)

I'm not making any changes to settings, as shown in the pics - don't want to risk decoupling the key/phone/car connection by mistake, and causing a subsequent need to fiddle with that again, or going to a dealer to set it up, or having to carry the fob on me at all times... Leaving things as-is appears to my mind as the least stressful option

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4760.00
      05-13-2024, 01:16 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi View Post

I'm not making any changes to settings, as shown in the pics - don't want to risk decoupling the key/phone/car connection by mistake, and causing a subsequent need to fiddle with that again, or going to a dealer to set it up, or having to carry the fob on me at all times... Leaving things as-is appears to my mind as the least stressful option
though I rarely use the iPhone Digital Key feature, I believe my Wallet also pops up when iPhone placed in the tray, but once the vehicle starts, I take it out and the screen automatically turns off after a short time. I also have never felt the need to change any Apple Pay/Wallet settings due to this as i want to be able to use it if/when i decide to use it.
Appreciate 1
matowi362.00