BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Two Piece Lightweight Steel Rotor set

05-15-2024, 10:19 PM   #45
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Triton Motorsports 🤢
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:39 AM   #46
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d rather have a mechanical locknut than nylon on a hot rotor but maybe this is fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #47
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

How can this be better than OEM when it is not lighter than OEM...?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 11:49 PM   #48
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Edges
Attached Images

Last edited by Dasky_spas; 05-17-2024 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:01 AM   #49
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

These could be better for racers even if a little heavier if they last longer and the replacement rings are cheaper than new OEM rotors.

Is the missing chunk part of the balancing process?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:43 AM   #50
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe that's true! I'm on my third set of rotors and have not seen that before.

Last edited by Dasky_spas; 05-17-2024 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:38 AM   #51
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
These could be better for racers even if a little heavier if they last longer and the replacement rings are cheaper than new OEM rotors.

Adding additional weight can't be beneficial in this context as the Car is already heavy so it will make more sense to reduce the weight by any means necessary. Best to stay OEM than to take this route.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:46 AM   #52
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

All,
We have been away from the forum due to other commitments keeping us busy but I'm going to address a few things here, especially the unfounded claims made by Dasky Spas. This might not be the greatest PR reply but as a business that invests time and money into offering high quality aftermarket options, we do have the right to defend ourselves.
1) The two-piece discs have 2 hardware options. The one you guys see on the website was improvised where there is just enough room for expansion (you won't be able to move the disc by hand) to prevent cracking. The reason behind this was that the other option was adding a hair over a LB to the weight. This same design has been in use for over 3 years on some of our initial adopters (including other platforms) and there hasn't been a single issue to this date. However, if you require the other hardware setup to add more gap, we are happy to do that since customization is our niche.
2) Weight concerns- The OE BMW M discs are extremely light to begin with. This was addressed above on 02/07/2024.

Now to clear up the claims being made by Dasky Spas- please bear with us because this is going to be long but needs to be put out there so other members can see through this themselves.
Said individual owns an M850i (pay attention to this one) and wanted a solution that is lighter on both axles. The size of the M850i front is the same as the F90 M5 but the construction is different (he was made aware of this). The M850i OE rear is a totally weird size and design which does not permit a 2-pc construction. He assumed and is still fixated on the front being the same as the M5. The data in our systems shows that the design has minute differences and our job as a custom product supplier is to ensure that there is 100% compatibility. Would BMW supply an M5 disc to him for the M850i and guarantee fitment as well as performance? Not at all. But going back to the basics- we already provided him a lighter front setup than his M850i. The rear setup was a custom solution as well that required hours of work from our two engineers. We provided him larger rear discs with better calipers as well as our newly launched solution for factory EPB compatibility. Mind you guys, we discounted the whole setup for him because he had been pushing to get a sponsorship from us.
Once we realized that the rear setup has to be fully customized and will add to the cost, we even offered him a full refund. But he wanted to proceed with the alt solution. So that is what was done for him.
In the mean time, he emailed us about comparisons with the M5 front discs again and we had to address those.
Fast forward to him receiving the package, initially he said everything looked good but then the email rail-gun turned on. He went back to comparing with the M5 discs and we had to address that again. I am not sure what it is that he doesn't understand- his car doesn't use the M5 discs. But he is stuck on it like superglue.
Since we shut that down, he mentioned how the quality is questionable since the discs are made in China. Just because something is made in China makes the product questionable? Brembo-AP has been making it's products in China for over 25 years. So I guess they need to be questioned as well. BMW needs to be questioned as well since a lot of the parts in Euro cars are manufactured in China. Would people be ok with us lying about where these are made? We have always functioned on transparency about where our products are made because quality is a matter of enforcement and not the region of manufacture. But the individual has strong racial/regional biases and it clearly shows.
Then he said there was no anti-corrosion coating on the rear, which was false and we pointed it out. The only difference was that the front OE discs have a different coating vs the big brake rear discs since both the lines are different- and we explained it to him.
Then he has issues with the slots (machining pattern) on the discs not being polished on the inside. This is just hysterical. The purpose of the slots is to increase the friction on the disc surface and we cut the slot pattern that he asked us to. But the increased friction is somehow dangerous according to Mr Brake Expert.
Then it came to him saying the front and rear hat designs are different- when it was clearly explained to him that his front is OE design replication and rear is a custom disc focused on as much weight reduction as safely possible. Mind you, this wasn't an issue initially but since we didn't cave in to his arguments about the M5 discs, this also became a problem. Then he moves on to crying about no washers being present. We explained that the M8 size bolts used with the disc design have plenty of surface area to spread the stress and washers would be required on smaller bolts, but he responded with the same statement- washers are not present. Then he moved on to the bolts being off shelf and we explained that the bolts are common size so when the time for replacement comes, if someone damages a bolt, they can source those locally instead of having to go through us. So then he says that we use low quality bolts and our discs are not safe- which is slander because we use metric grade 10.9 bolts that exceed SAE grade 8 hardware strength (also called heavy duty car bolts/hardware). Then he moves on to the small slivers of metal that are shaved from the inside lip saying how rotors can't be balanced because metal is missing. This is because Mr Brake Expert has zero knowledge about how brake discs are balanced- small slivers of metal are shaved from the inner lip (facing the vanes) of the side that is showing slightly heavier on the balance test. This is standard practice and every brand's discs have the exact same patterns of shaved slivers (including OE discs). All this time he has been pushing us to give him half his money back and when we respond with factual statements to his opinion filled emails, he throws a fit and asks for a full refund. Our policy clearly states that unless there is a manufacturing defect, we don't offer returns on any custom orders due to the inherent nature of the products. Which is where he keeps looking for something to create a fuss about only to be shutdown fairly easily. He has been sending us nasty emails and texts hoping we would cave in to his demands.

Our apologies for the long post but this was required to clear the air and also expose the individual for his false claims. If this means that some of you folks won't trust us, then we will be fine with that as well. We do not sit back and take BS from individuals who keep bullying businesses so they can have the products for free or extreme discounts.

Last edited by TritonMotorsports; 05-17-2024 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:48 AM   #53
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
Thank you for sharing this with us. Any feed back from the performance or feel of these rotors?
Please read the last reply. You are more than welcome to check with individuals who have been actually running our brakes instead of folks who are reaching for something so they can get some of their money back.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 09:54 AM   #54
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Triton is direct from China brakes and the quality is dangerously poor. No washers on the rotor bolts, impact gun marks on the hat, looks unbalanced by the uneven edges, and hat sections front and rear don't match. The rear rotor bolts don't even look like rated
automotive bolts as there's no markings.
What is it with you and your bias against China? And what makes you think that having them manufactured at a facility in China makes them bad automatically? Again, after explaining to you in 2 emails- washers are not needed on your hardware.
All our hardware is tightened with hand tools. We never use impact guns- we have videos and photos of our processes to prove it. But you keep making false statements.
Your front is OE replication in a 2pc design while your rear is a custom disc meant to reduce as much weight as safely possible. We could have made an OE like disc for you for the rear, but looking at your antics, then you would have whined about the rears not being light.

Edges have slivers shaved in order to balance the rotors. Metal is never added after the production is complete. Go check brembo, AP, RB, Giro - it's the same.
This just shows how you have zero knowledge about these things but want to play keyboard warrior.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:01 AM   #55
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Yes, they last significantly longer. Some of the first adopters of our brakes have logged over 100k miles on the brakes with one pad slap (which we are ok with).
All our designs go through over 120 heat cycles during the design process to ensure that nothing bends or cracks. Additionally, each rotor ring is put through extreme heat treatment before it is used for the full disc assembly. This ensures that if there is any ring that is expanding in an unacceptable manner, it is tossed back into the furnace and a whole new ring is utilized instead.
Replacement rings are cheaper than new OE rotors, yes.
Missing chunk is not actually missing. Those sections are shaved in slivers to achieve balance. More metal cannot be added to the lighter side after the discs have been made. Every brand's discs have these small sections shaved from the inner edge of the side that shows up as heavy on the balance/true test.

Last edited by TritonMotorsports; 05-17-2024 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:18 AM   #56
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I’d rather have a mechanical locknut than nylon on a hot rotor but maybe this is fine.
Washers are used on discs where the hardware is smaller and narrower. On most of the discs though, we use M8 bolts which have a wide enough stress distribution surface and there is no need to use washers. Also, the marks on the discs are minor surface marks caused by the handtools used to tighten the hardware to spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:23 AM   #57
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Please explain the difference between the m850 rotor provided and the m5 rotor you openly advertise on your site as being significantly less weight than stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 10:35 AM   #58
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Please explain the difference between the m850 rotor provided and the m5 rotor you openly advertise on your site as being significantly less weight than stock?
Again, stuck on the M5. For the love of god, you drive an M850i, not an M5. Please ask your local BMW dealership if they will fit your M850i with an M5 disc and provide you with a fitment + performance guarantee.
Our job was to provide you a 2piece disc that mimics the M850i and is lighter. We did that. But you are still stuck on the m5. Keep at it because we won't entertain it at all.
As far as the data goes, no- we are not going to provide you or anyone with our proprietary data that we worked on. You are just making yourself look worse with every response and email.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:02 PM   #59
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
TritonMotorsports, at the risk of you coming hard at me also, and with conceding and admitting off the top that most of the technological discussion is beyond my expertise, I’m going to just state that coming after and bashing your customers (even if they are in the wrong, and I don’t know enough to know whether Dasky_spas is or not) is just bad business. We’ve seen this happen with Project Gamma and serhat06 and the like.

You are a company, you were mentioned negatively, and you have the absolute right to respond to your naysayers. But there is a proper decorum and tone to set while doing it. You may be entirely in the right here, but boy do you sound bad doing it the way you’ve done.
      05-17-2024, 01:29 PM   #60
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
TritonMotorsports, at the risk of you coming hard at me also, and with the conceding and admitting off the top that most of the technological discussion is beyond my expertise, I’m going to just state that coming after and bashing your customers (even if they are in the wrong, and I don’t know enough to know whether Dasky_spas is or not) is just bad business. We’ve seen this happen with Project Gamma and serhat06 and the like.

You are a company, you were mentioned negatively, and you have the absolute right to respond to your naysayers. But there is a proper decorum and tone to set while doing it. You may be entirely in the right here, but boy do you sound bad doing it the way you’ve done.
That’s alright because you guys haven’t seen the kind of emails and text messages he has been sending us for weeks now and then we see him starting drama on the forums. We have given him everything he asked for but whatever the reason for his displeasure is - buyer’s remorse or just plain and simple wanting the product at extremely discounted prices- that does not give him the right to go out and bash us. He had technical concerns, we addressed each one of those with facts, so then he started reaching for anything he could find to bash us which we countered with hard facts as well.
A customer making baseless claims and bashing a business to hurt them is ok, but for a business to expose that customer’s antics in order to show everyone what the situation is, is somehow a huge “no-no”? I am sorry but some businesses work hard on their products and they have bills to pay as well. No reasonable adult would say that you should just cave in when a customer throws a fit.
Like I mentioned in my response earlier- this is not the most PR friendly post and even if it means losing some potential customers, it is fine. The goal was to defend our products against baseless opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:41 PM   #61
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonMotorsports View Post
That’s alright because you guys haven’t seen the kind of emails and text messages he has been sending us for weeks now and then we see him starting drama on the forums. We have given him everything he asked for but whatever the reason for his displeasure is - buyer’s remorse or just plain and simple wanting the product at extremely discounted prices- that does not give him the right to go out and bash us. He had technical concerns, we addressed each one of those with facts, so then he started reaching for anything he could find to bash us which we countered with hard facts as well.
A customer making baseless claims and bashing a business to hurt them is ok, but for a business to expose that customer’s antics in order to show everyone what the situation is, is somehow a huge “no-no”? I am sorry but some businesses work hard on their products and they have bills to pay as well. No reasonable adult would say that you should just cave in when a customer throws a fit.
Like I mentioned in my response earlier- this is not the most PR friendly post and even if it means losing some potential customers, it is fine. The goal was to defend our products against baseless opinions.
Defending yourself is more than okay. I stated that clearly, and I stand by it. But at the end of the day, it’s a private individual and you’re a professional corporation. Even if the customer takes the low road (and I am obviously not privy to enough details to state definitively whether that is the case or not), you can (and most would probably argue, should) take the high road.

I never stated that you aren’t allowed to defend yourself, or that comments that were made about you weren’t egregious (again, I don’t know everything). But you went to personal attacks and arguably some ad hominem statements (again, even if such comments were made about you first). I’m really not trying to argue with you, nor am I trying to stir the pot.

I’m not your customer (not because of this situation, but because I’ve got no reason to mess with my OE rotors). But we’ve seen multiple businesses shoot themselves in the foot going the route you’ve gone. It’s usually caused forum members to swear up and down they’d never purchase from such companies. If I was a potential customer, this would be an instant turn off for me.

You could have asserted your defense more objectively. But hey, it’s your company, your product, and your right to free speech! This wasn’t meant to be a fight or argument, just a casual, unsolicited observance. You’re free to disregard it and me!
      05-17-2024, 01:58 PM   #62
TritonMotorsports
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Defending yourself is more than okay. I stated that clearly, and I stand by it. But at the end of the day, it’s a private individual and you’re a professional corporation. Even if the customer takes the low road (and I am obviously not privy to enough details to state definitively whether that is the case or not), you can (and most would probably argue, should) take the high road.

I never stated that you aren’t allowed to defend yourself, or that comments that were made about you weren’t egregious (again, I don’t know everything). But you went to personal attacks and arguably some ad hominem statements (again, even if such comments were made about you first). I’m really not trying to argue with you, nor am I trying to stir the pot.

I’m not your customer (not because of this situation, but because I’ve got no reason to mess with my OE rotors). But we’ve seen multiple businesses shoot themselves in the foot going the route you’ve gone. It’s usually caused forum members to swear up and down they’d never purchase from such companies. If I was a potential customer, this would be an instant turn off for me.

But hey, it’s your company, your product, and your right to free speech! This wasn’t meant to be a fight or argument, just a casual, unsolicited observance. You’re free to disregard it and me!
Noted and I appreciate it. Also not arguing with you at all. We go over and beyond to take care of our customers- sending customers new wheels because UPS left a scuff on the lip of one when we could have just paid $50-100 for a touch up, letting customers keep extra sets of CCB brake pads because accidentally we shippped 2 X front sets instead of a front and rear, emails/calls 2 years after they purchased from us to make sure they are still satisfied, sending clients gifts as an gesture of apology when the FedEx meltdown happened. I was a customer for years before I started Triton, and I have been a part of various forums for over 15years. There is something called being reasonable and then there is this. All of us have our limits and the bullying, harassment from this individual is the root cause of this- all of which has been forwarded to our attorney anyway.
Other individuals also asked questions here or on emails and you can see our responses. But for someone to just look over the logic and facts, and start slander- we don’t sit back and take it.
Appreciate 0