Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
My wife seems to remember this type of issue. She said the shifter would not respond to her commands. Side note. I know it is only possible to crank the vehicle initially while it is either in park or neutral so i suppose if the engine dies like that because of some failure the transmission never gets moved to P or N and because the shifters doesn't function you cant do it manually to start it back up. The reason why it allows you to do so after a short rest is beyond me.

Have you ever had this issue diagnosed and if so what did they find? When was the last time you had one?
BMW NA Engineers are still looking at it with the local service department and I don't know if they have a root cause yet. They have replaced high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel control module, run diagnostics on sensors that all checked out. None of those fixed it or identified an issue. The latest diagnostics make it look like fuel is being pumped at an incorrect rate on just one side of the saddle tank until it reaches a failure and it may be a problem with the DME. My case is probably more of an outlier situation and it has been real hard to track down so far.
Appreciate 0