Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickala View Post
I just purchased one from a used car lot that was in great condition. Come to find that the service wasn’t done until 5100 miles. I’m very concerned about it but I’m kind of stuck at this point. The reality is it probably won’t affect the car, because almost every car I’ve ever purchased didn’t require an oil change at 1200 miles. I’ve had many high-performance cars and there is no such requirement and I don’t see why the S63 is so special. Having said that, I could possibly be denied if there is a major engine issue

Again, I’ve had many high-performance cars and there was no such requirement and I don’t see why the M5 is so special. It's really the same engine as the M550 with a higher Rev limiter. The rear diff is more of a concern. But they can be found used for 1500. It has 11,000 on it now. It's a unique color and I love it. BTw, the break in oil is the same oil the car regular uses. The dealer looked it up for me.
The dealer is incorrect about the about the oil. The following video is a great explanation on the break in service (I suggest skipping to minute 9)

The video shows that the oil is in fact a mineral based oil during break in and is much thinner than the regular oil. This is why there are restrictions on speed/RPM. The special oil isn't able to properly lubricate in those conditions.

The other good explanation in that video is there is in fact a change at the break in service. What difference it makes is not explained.

Non-M cars start in transport mode and during PDI, get set to normal mode.

M cars start in transport mode and go into running in mode during PDI and at the break in service the tech has to switch to to normal mode.

The diff oil is also completely different. It goes from some milky color to a translucent green color.
Appreciate 0