Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Yes that's what it says. It was leaked publicly overnight. If it performs in tests as well as the outgoing E63S, it will be a sub 3sec 0-60 and in the 10's 1/4 mile. If the M760Li at 4900lbs can make the 0-60 run in the low 3's as I expect, the F90 at 7-800lbs lighter should at least match the Merc and certainly handle better.
I know it's a BMW blog but it's ironic how here the M's automatically handle better than the AMG's but in real world reviews and professional driver's opinions the cars are neck and neck. I've seen multiple reviews where the C63 was faster than the M3 and the E63s was quicker than the M5 around a track and vice versa. Amg also has the gts and upcoming gt-r which are from countless reviews supurb and handle marvelously. Bmw has nothing to compete. Same thing can be said for AMG in F1 where they are the current team to beat. I LOVE BMW but this isn't the 90's and other manufacturers have caught up. It's not a "given" for BMW to be the best handling vehicle anymore.
Yeah I agree, this is not the old days, can't just assume BMW always wins in the handling category. Even the American car companies have stepped up. GM's CTS-V and Z06 are both spectacular on the track. Z06 on Sachsenring is only slightly off 918's time and much quicker than the likes of 911 TTS and 458 Speciale.
Even though germancarfan is a troll, my statement wasn't brand biased. Any true car enthusiast who has seen the latest round of E63S spy vids at the Nordschleife would be nigh on impotent if they didn't get the fizzy feeling down below watching them. No doubt it's a monster and does handle quite well. It also will be quite a bit heavier. The C63S weighs as much as a 6cyl LWB 7 Series, the E43 as much as an 8cyl SWB 7 Series, and the new E63S will weight in the 4500 lb region. The F90 weight goal is quite a bit lower than that. It also will have some tricks up its sleeve. The current M5/E63S are fairly close and each one's benefit/detriment equal out most of the time.

Nordschleife times are the most manipulated times around and why BMW rarely makes the documentation public. There are 3 total configurations (Tourist, Manufacturer, and Race) and different speed restrictions depending on who the responsible party is for the car and the driver's license credentials. There isn't really a completely legal way to combine all of them and not violate a track restriction (Fines) while recording a time that isn't open for dispute.

AMS times are also very questionable in a way. They are the most consistent dude to Horst von Saurma as the driver, but he doesn't usually drive above 7-8/10's in the twisty bits.

The CTS-V Nordschleife "official" times are well known to be rigged through the use of performance enhancements (Pilot Sport Cup Tires, Magnesium wheels and UDM Wheels) and configurations made in the interest of "safety". Porsche did the same with the 918 by using a fixed roof prototype and de-contented interior. An F10 M5 with Competition Package and M Driver's Package, driven by one specific Factory Test Driver, with nothing but a more appropriate brake pad change on iron brakes, can complete a full lap in under 7:30. The other Factory Drivers can do it in the low 7:30 range.

Saying vehicle X is faster than vehicle Z all the time based off various recordings doesn't always work. Take the 918. One of the fastest production cars in the world. Yet it's slower on the Goodwood Hill Climb course than a Rolls Royce Wraith (which was within a few 10ths of a second behind the Bentley Continental GT3-R).
Appreciate 0