View Single Post
      06-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Okay... I've been upgrading all my car audio for a long time so I know the pros/cons of the aftermarket stereos.

If you're concerned with sound: Premium Audio is not your solve all. IMO, the premium audio package really should be the base system for a BMW. I dont' know what the actual base is like. You can spend less and get much fuller sound, much better customizability, and more punch.

If you're concerned with looks and integration, you can't beat it. Having everything look stock in an expensive car is important to me. If not stock, at least not out of place. If you have to change the head unit, the look goes out the window along with any integration with idrive and the steering wheel. I'm sure there are high end decks out there that could integrate, but chances are you'll be spending $$$$ for the same thing. You will most likely have integration issue with wires, fitting speakers in stock mounts, rattling, static in the signal, etc.

Bottom line, it will never be great. So decide if you want BMW to give you an okay system but have it integrated, or for you to take your chances on your own to do it aftermarket.

Here's a question for you. How do you scroll through your presets, and get to the HD channels w/o switching from preset to manual. Yes I know I asked this already, but got no answer. I've found voice commands and the idrive, but they all require switching modes.