07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
If you truly believed your magical "method" of adjustments have eliminated every possible blind spot, you wouldn't feel the need to….. My point is, adjusting the mirrors isn't some magic discovery, it's why they're adjustable and exactly what you're supposed to do. But unless you're making them bigger, as you move them around, there's always something you can't see in some circumstances. So, you do what every driver in every part of the world is taught to do, IN ADDITION to properly setting your mirrors for maximum vision, you do a quick turn of the head and make sure you're not missing something. It's arrogant to think there is a perfect position where 3 tiny mirrors let you see 100% of what's around the sides and behind your car. You admitted it's still smart to do a quick head turn (aka "checking your blind spot ), so I don't take you for arrogant nor irresponsible.

That said, we're all human and sometimes forget to check no matter how responsible we may be, so newer safety features like blind spot detection and lane departure warnings are just another way to help, and just like mirrors and back-up cameras, should never replace simple common sense and basic driving skills.
Well it's not magic, but actually documented proper procedure, written in at least 3 automotive magazines I've read over the past 20 years or so; and also known by most professional drivers. And the amount of rotation I do with my head is maybe about 10 degrees from straight ahead so I use my peripheral vision to look at this side while being able to still see what is a head of me (which is the more important vision perspective to keep - hitting shit in front of you is worse than sideswiping another vehicle). I've seen too many people completly turn their head and take their eyes from the path of travel, which is the worng technique. The problem with new technology is people will learn to rely on it and when it fails, someone may get hurt or killed. I'll rely on my skills not the car's tech. The real issue is most people don't taking driving serious enough.

What the proper mirror placement allows you to do is rapidly scan the rear view to maintain a level of cognizance of how the traffic behind you is moving from lane to lane and approaching or falling away from you. Proper driving technique is constantly scanning the road ahead and behind to keep the best situational awareness. One should keep aware of traffic so that you know when a car is at your left or right rear quarter and can momentarily be out of vision. Ride a motorcycle in traffic and you'll understand. There's a difference between being arrogant and being confident...
Appreciate 0