07-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
None of us who know how to set the mirrors properly ever said you then not need to double check with a quick head turn before changing lanes.
If you truly believed your magical "method" of adjustments have eliminated every possible blind spot, you wouldn't feel the need to….. My point is, adjusting the mirrors isn't some magic discovery, it's why they're adjustable and exactly what you're supposed to do. But unless you're making them bigger, as you move them around, there's always something you can't see in some circumstances. So, you do what every driver in every part of the world is taught to do, IN ADDITION to properly setting your mirrors for maximum vision, you do a quick turn of the head and make sure you're not missing something. It's arrogant to think there is a perfect position where 3 tiny mirrors let you see 100% of what's around the sides and behind your car. You admitted it's still smart to do a quick head turn (aka "checking your blind spot ), so I don't take you for arrogant nor irresponsible.

That said, we're all human and sometimes forget to check no matter how responsible we may be, so newer safety features like blind spot detection and lane departure warnings are just another way to help, and just like mirrors and back-up cameras, should never replace simple common sense and basic driving skills.
Appreciate 0