View Single Post
      10-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

I drove the E70 35i and 35d back-to-back when trying to decide which engine I'd get for my F15. While I understand the diesel engine and transmission have been improved for 2014, here are my observations:

1. The gasoline engine was much smoother and the free-revving nature of the gas engine made it feel much sportier than the diesel if you want to wind it out. The gas engine is very smooth and refined around town but sounds great when you open it up.
2. Although the diesel engine was by far the best diesel I had ever driven, make no mistake, it still sounds (and smells) like a diesel. Definite diesel clattering at idle and under load inside the cabin. I much prefer the sound of the gas engine.
3. I don't really buy in the "economical" arguments for the diesel. Setting the side the issue of saving a few hundred bucks a year when purchasing a $70k vehicle as being "economical", the diesel costs more than the gas engine and diesel fuel cost more per gallon than premium gas. In the Northeast and Midwest, diesel fuel gets more expensive in the winter making it much more expensive than premium gas. I think you would need to have to drive much more than the average person to see any meaningful savings from driving the diesel.
4. As far as the diesel being more convenient because you have to fill the tank less, you have to balance that with the inconvenience of relative difficulty in finding a gas station that has a diesel pump. Many if not most suburban gas stations in my area don't sell diesel.

IMO, part of the appeal of the diesel comes from the fact that it is less common in the US than gas engines and that it is more popular in Europe. Some people like to have something that is different from everyone else. I get that. I think it's important for people to drive both and then make a decision.
Appreciate 0