View Single Post
      05-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Regretting waiting so long to go BBK

Ordered Stoptech Trophy kit from BuyBrakes back in December, and finally received a few weeks back. Installed in the lead up to a trip to Thunderhill East 3 mile with NCRC yesterday.

I will give my impression of my first day on track with the bbk, but first my experience doing about 20 or so days on stock brakes with various pads ranging from PFC, Ferrodo, and even a bargain Powerstop(actually very good bang for the buck.)

The F8X brakes are decently capable on track for many, but for me I do not think they work great with my driving style. I accelerate deep into corners, brake late and hard for short durations. On the stock brakes this has often led to instability braking into corners following 120+mph straight line sections. I've also found that the start of my braking is significantly earlier than other drivers of similar skill level as me. And in spite of using the brakes as little as possible I often experience semi soft pedal feel close to the end of 20 minute sessions.

Now my impression of the Stoptechs on the sport pads that came with my kit...
My first session I immediately knew I had a ton more stopping power as I consistently found myself over slowing just about every corner as I had muscle memory from the stock brakes and needing to stop about 10-15% earlier.
As speeds increased I also felt zero lateral instability on hard braking, and by my 4th and final session I started to really catch on to just how late I could brake and still make my turn ins without worry of understeer.

Brought my pr lap time down a full second yesterday to 2:02.07, and actually had a run at a 2:00.xx, but a fuel starvation drivetrain malfunction about 150 feet from finish line devastatingly put an end to that(garmin catalyst video of that to come.)

Disclaimer that this is totally anecdotal with no data to support at this time, but I actually borderline felt like I was driving a different car, or maybe just an F82 that weighs closer to 3500lbs when trying to stop this big old beast. Took my friends .2 GT3 out yesterday and of course that car is way more agile and gets out of corners significantly faster, but where I felt leveled up yesterday was into the brake zones.

Not a cheap mod, but imo worth every penny, and also I was coming due for new pads and rotors, thus now I can put the stocks on the shelf and when I inevitably part my car out can toss those back on for trade in.
BBK's very famously fetch great prices on second hand market, so I am very confident this was a great investment.
Appreciate 4
Suds1603.00
irunalot1518.00
gum201250.50