is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Obviously more of a concern on the east coast and more southern bits of FL. West coast and central not as much of a concern. Code regulations are vastly different for a home built on the coast and one built just 30 miles inland.
True. In fact if you live in an evacuation zone along the coast you need to evacuate when a storm is approaching regardless of what you have for storm protection.

We live 20 miles west of the Atlantic coast in South FL. When we bought the house, I had someone put up the shutters to make sure we had all the hardware. They thought I was crazy and said I would never need to put them up. I have put them up 4x now in 14 years. The worst damage we had (which was still relatively minor compared to others) came from Wilma, which landed on the west coast and came all the way across the state. A big storm can damage anywhere, but clearly the coast is most susceptible.
No doubt better safe than sorry. But in the last 43 years I've lived in FL I've never had protective hurricane gear and code wasn't even half as stringent as it was just 15 years ago.

Like you said, when a big cat 3 or higher comes knocking, pick I95 or I75 and gtfo. If I lived on the east coast or in S FL, my game plan would be much different. The first tactic I'd implement would be to move north west. But the hurricane factor would have little to do with that decision. :