View Single Post
      06-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #33
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

My Azurite M5 has the B&W upgrade. I haven't been able to dial in the settings to a point where I think it sounds fantastic. It sounds good; don't get me wrong. I've tried a couple of the sound stages and made some tone adjustments, but I haven't been blown away. The highs still seem a bit too bright (to me) and the lows lack a bit of punch.

For reference, I have an Integra amp paired with Paradigm speakers at home. It's a vary laid back sound. The Paradigm Servo-15 packs a punch - but then again, it is a 15" sub. Something the M5 doesn't have.

For more direct comparison, I upgraded the speakers in my 2012 535i to the Bavsound speakers and their Ghost subs paired with a Bimmertech amp (adjusted several times to hit a sweet spot with different types of music). While I've adjusted the amp, the tone is set to flat. Overall it sounds great with nice (not too bright) highs and punchy lows even on high volume (with no distortion).

On the M5, I have lowered the highs and bumped the low bass by EQ a little. It still isn't quite where I would say it is awesome but it does sound good. The bass still lacks punch and seems to get a bit bright at higher volume. I haven't noticed distortion yet but that may be because my ears feel like they are going to bleed from the highs before I get the volume too high. ;-)

For now (and perhaps it is because I'm used to it), I still think I like the Bavsound/Bimmertech combo in my 535 a little better. Perhaps after I fiddle with the sound a bit more and try different combos of the sound stage/tone settings I'll find the system in the M5 to be a bit more to my liking.

Because "good sound" is so subjective, YMMV. I included the other stuff as reference to give some sort of baseline of what I generally appreciate sound-wise.

Looks like someone already upgraded from the HK system to the Bavsound and liked it. Given my last 2 BMWs have had the Bavsound upgrade, I'm curious as to how it sounds and what it would sound like when directly compared with the B&W: http://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1508632
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 0