View Single Post
      03-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #16
mmeads
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
I asked Beewang over on bimmerfest about copying the disks, since he rents them out and a copy would be a lot easier if it gets lost. He informed me that from the information that he had, the copied disks have a tendancy to get stuck in the DVD drive and if the dealer finds a copied disk in the drive they can and most likely will void the entire I-drive warranty, not just the nav, as well as make you pay out of pocket to have the disk removed. Just some food for thought to make you give copying one of the disks some serious thought before you try it.
The law is on the consumer's side in the US. MFG's can't just void waranties b/c they don't like what you've done to your car. *IF* a problem did occur with your iDrive system, the dealer would have to prove that it was the fault of the copied DVD software.

About removing a disc if it gets stuck, yeah you'd probably have to pay them for that (if you can't figure it out yourself) and the worst that could happen is they give you a frowny face sticker on your report card for the semester.