Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
You are correct. Anytime I've driven Active Steering I disliked it. I don't mind effort changing under appropriate circumstances, but ratio changes drove me nuts. When you drive a vehicle enough, the ratio becomes an extension of your hand-eye-steering coordination. Driving out on the highway and on the streets it has a normal ratio that your brain learns and it becomes like muscle memory, automatic without thinking about it, then I pull into a parking lot and that same amount of steering wheel movement is suddenly tuning my tires way more than I expected. It's disconcerting and unnecessary. Servotronic just changes the amount of effort it takes to turn the wheel, (power steering boost). I got no problem with that, but I don't think it's necessary.
Thank you for all the clarification on this. I was not aware that Servtronic wasnt on the '13 x5 model. That changes things. I simply felt the current model was a bit cumbersome to navigate in parking lots. I am now wondering if the active steering is neccesary as servtronic should fix some of this and the car is also 200lbs lighter. Im sure one would get used to active driving and like it after time, i am now just not sure it is a must have for $1500.

None of us can know for sure without driving it but it seems my issue should be resolved w atandard equipmemt on the f15.

Thank you mysticblue
Appreciate 0