View Single Post
      02-19-2024, 05:49 PM   #17
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
I'd wager M cars, especially German build cars and AMGs are pretty mechanically reliable, as there is more care and quality control vs your regular models. Even Lexus/Toyotas that are built in Japan have less issues than US or Mexico builds.

If a person actually does PROPER maintenance, which is a bit beyond your regular maintenance, including preventative maintenance, doesn't abuse the car and visually inspects the plasticky bits from time to time these cars will last.

Electrical gremlins are electrical gremlins, its just what to expect with the amount of tech in german cars. I don't consider that to be a sing of vehicle being unreliable. And realistic expectations, I think the 150K mile mark is a good expectation to reach, as you would expect a Toyota to go 300k.

PS. Plasticky bits are a scourge everywhere know, not just in our S63s, same exact issue of plastic components failing on Lexus forums.

I own both Lexus and Toyota with 4.6L V8 and 4.0L V6, both considered to be solid engines capable of doing 300k+, but thats only with vey meticulous maintenance, and willingness to spend extra money on extensive repairs. Toyota's love to leak oil from some failed gasket that's deep in the engine or transfer case, and some 300k+ speciments probably do seep oil somewhere and it cheaper to just top it off once a month. I don't see a reason why an M5 can reach 200k, if you're willing to spend some money on components expected to fail between 100-150k mark.

Last edited by TFBravo; 02-19-2024 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 2