View Single Post
      02-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

First off, I live where there's no snow; I've never dealt with salt and other crud. So take what I say with a grain of salt

I generally like ONR. But it doesn't work well if the car's too dirty. And works much better if you car has a coating, or at least a sealant on it (but that's true of any wash, I guess). It's good you rinsed the car off well. When I use ONR, I use a ratio of 1oz to 1 gallon. I also use a variation of the 'Gary Dean' method to wipe/wash, where you use a bunch of microfiber cloths folded in quarters, and discard when the whole cloth is dirty (sorry if you already knew this), because I never could seem to be able to get the wash mitt that clean in the rinse bucket. When I first used ONR, I felt it was like wiping the car down with water. However, it really does encapsulate the dirt pretty well. I sort of view ONR as a quick wash in between 'real' washes. I do add 1oz to my regular soap when I do a 'real' wash. Seems to make everything a little more slick.

Wheel cleaners: I'm using Sonax Full Effect. It's pretty good. It's basically iron-X for the wheels. I bought a couple of bottles of it, and have one left. I have some 1Z ColorTech wheel cleaner I've been meaning to try. I think it's the same stuff, but I've seen it foams more, which I would prefer. I would not have thought of trying Stoners. Their glass cleaner is good; never tried their wheel cleaners.

The wheel woolies ARE overpriced. I recently purchased a pair of the Griot's woolies. They definitely the right tool for the job. I have a Boar's hair wheel brush, EZ-detail brush, and a few others. I stull use them, but the Woolie is the best. If I could have only 1 brush, it would be the woolies. I need to get the biggest one. They also have a bent one for behind the spokes. BTW, I would NOT recommend the EZ-detail brush. It sprays everywhere. For me, it has a very specific, limited use: between the caliper and the barrel. Possibly the inner barrel, for the big opening between the spokes.
Appreciate 0