Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
No doubt that buying may make sense for some folks and there's a "possibility" that it may cost less to own versus lease in some scenarios.

The picture becomes more muddled when you factor the cost of tying up capital, tax benefits of leasing and the "what if" scenarios that can diminish value on a car you own (accident, major repairs etc.).

There's no right answer here since every owner really evaluates what works best for him or her.

I choose to lease because when I factor in some of the points mentioned above, the true price of ownership is substantially less than buying and it removes the "what ifs" from the equation.

With that said, do whatever the f*ck makes you happy LOL.
Even without the tax benefits, you will have to factor in the cost of capital in buy vs lease. For example, the $115k you paid up front comes with an opportunity cost as you can invest it in safe investment and earn 4%-6% easily. I would say the savings would be marginal.

That being said I chose to buy the car simply because I like owning my car and not worry about the dealership. Not for financial reason per se.
Next thing you know we will be adding IRR in to the calculation. The interest loss will be similar when you consider you are 15k more out of pocket not counting the 5 to 10k down you need to put to get to a reasonable payment.

If the car is damaged or in an accident you are responsible for the loss of value to the lease company at the end of the lease.

The primary reason why people lease a car like this is because it is the only way they can afford it.