View Single Post
      09-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

My Test Drive: 335ix GT in Manhattan

I had a moderately long dealership test drive in a 335ix GT over the most challenging test track in the U.S.: midtown Manhattan and the upper West Side Highway. I was looking to find answers to several questions I had before considering buying one.
For the readers here to evaluate my evaluation, this is me: an early BMW convert, going back to the days when BMWs flashed headlights at each other. Each of my Bimmers have been 3er and moved up in options, engines (and price.) My current BMW is a E90 330i with the sport package. My bias is to love BMW, hate run flats, only like sport seats, dislike sport suspension, love the smooth leather, fat rim M steering wheel, love good, but not crazy power and think BMW handling and road feel are gifts from the gods.
I now want a new one, with traits I enjoy and option out bad ones. I want to add some cargo room, however. X3 seems good, but since I want European Delivery (the thrill and price savings): nein. Touring seems good, but since its only available as a 4 banger: nein. Drum roll please: what about a GT fastback? Always thought 5 doors seemed smart anyway.
Enough of me- what did I find: Really good space (backseat has crazy space and cargo is excellent; look at an A7 and you will wonder if Audi has had too much time in a bierhall. Power: wonderful- (M3 people will, of course disagree.) So smooth and minimal shudder upon the dreaded stop/start system. Ride and handling was my grosse surprise. (Remember where I took my test drive.) Ride quality: didn't float over the streets of the Big Apple as some journalists lamented- it was choppy (like my sport suspension.) High speed cornering: heading too fast down an exit ramp did not produce the dreaded body roll those misinformed journalists stated, but rather an appreciation of good brakes getting a too eager test driver out of the souppe. Seats: standard buckets seemed to hold me in much like my sport seats- with just a smidge more room for those of us who have grown a bit-- back there. Seating position: nothing like sitting high in an suv- felt just like a sedan.
So, there mein kinder, you have it: a thoroughly enjoyable German machine that has advanced practicality, but kept plenty of the BMW DNA. No need for the $1,000 adaptive suspension and sport steering package. Styling is just fine- maybe not svelt, but nothing like the Bangle butt 5er GT. I do wonder why M Sport models are so color choice challenged, though.
what do you think?
Appreciate 0