03-30-2024, 10:08 PM   #8
gioM5-Comp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoF90 View Post
Wait, are you perhaps saying the newer (2020-2023) F90 M5s sound less vicious than the 2018-2019 M5s? That's interesting as I never heard that brought up in the various reviews I have watched and read.
Yes my friend. Unfortunately BMW mapped out or severely reduced the overrun in Sports + mode with the full LCI models. This was done in the ECU. It’s that overrun in Sports + mode that gave you the pops and bangs when you came off the throttle or downshifting at certain speeds. This it seems was more of a thing done to EU cars whereas in America, the same LCI models seem to sound better.
There’s a well known YouTuber that reviewed the pre & post LCI models, and you can clearly hear the difference between the two. The newer versions sound castrated in comparison. They will obviously still drive amazingly I’m sure.
It’s not an issue for some folks and as with everything, it’s all personal tastes.
For me, I wanted that choice to have those pops & bangs there from the car ( when choosing the right mode ) as I deemed that as part of the character and charm of that generation car, just like the earlier Mercedes AMG E63’s were. The modern Sports version iterations of BMW, Audi & Mercedes seemed have all lost that side of the car. Big V8 engines or higher that sound like hair dryers when revved up at standstill in neutral…no thank you…!!
Guess I’m an old school kind of chap but I do know what I personally like when it comes to my cars. I’ll take the older generation over the newer ones any day my friend
Appreciate 2
DavidXJ664.50