09-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
hey you guys have pictures of these critters. I want to see how bad it is for you texans
Here ya go...just imagine driving through clouds of these critters;

Love bugs

Quote "Its reputation as a public nuisance is due not to its bite or sting (as it is not capable of either), but to its slightly acidic body chemistry[1]. Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die en masse on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become dried and extremely difficult to remove. In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed[3]. However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages with the bodies of the adults, with the reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass".

And;

"However, the use of a low cost screen fabric sold by local automotive part and supply stores, and especially designed to attach to the front of the car, will protect the radiator grill and paint on the front of the vehicle when large flights are encountered. This fabric is easily removed for washing with a hose".

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...
Appreciate 0