02-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #15
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
Did you buy or lease ?

I beat my F30 to hell, 100mph highway blasts with florida bugs at night time through the swamp. Didn't wash her for 5 months. Took me 3 hours to get the bugs off of the front bumper, and surprisingly the paint held up pretty well. I'm not going to say that there isn't some serious marring and micro scratches. Even complete perforations through the paint down to the metal. But overall after a year of abuse, she's holding up with 22k miles. I will say that the paint sucks balls on these new cars, but I'm also driving mine like i stole it. When I get my M3 I'm going to beat her up too, only live once.
you had bug protection lol. I leased. I drive the car hard when it's warmed up and I will take it to the track. For me, I just want my car to look clean and new as much as I can keep it that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
BMW paint has been getting thinner and thinner.

Back in the glory days of old BMW they were in the 5 mils.

By the time E9x came around it was barely 4 mils (my Evo is in the mid to high 3's, talk about budget).

That's why those early 90 BMW paints look nice and thick from the factory, because they were.

All this to save half a can of paint a car, ridiculous.

I am afraid if chips bother you then clear bra is a must nowadays. Find a good guy and have the car wrapped before you drive it off the lot.
I completely agree.
There are drawbacks of the clear bra. It doesn't fit perfectly when you really look into it. The front end has a lot of sharp edges and angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
It's no different than any other car. Any car that's driven on a freeway is going to get chips, especially in the winter. The cabin rattles can easily be fixed. Mine had a couple too, and with a bit of felt tape from Amazon they were gone in 15 minutes. Search the F30 forums.
I have read about that already. The small rattle noises don't bother me that much. It just adds up and then all the small things drive you nuts if you know what I mean. Thanks for the pointers.
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0