usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Not sure what the surprise is. BMW did the same on the F10... there were rumors from Day #1 of a Competition. If a buyer really wanted the ZCP, they should have waited. There are several reasons people want the latest and greatest:

1. The attention from going to a car meet or whatever with everyone ogling the rare F90 m5 only lasts 6 months. 90% of folks can't tell the difference to a regular 5 series.
2. Actual performance of the car and suiting their preference
3. Having the newest model at any given time

People can chose to spend their $$ in any which way they want. No point in blaming BMW... they can control supply and hence the market and buying patterns. I am sure they have some MBA types analyzing all these scenarios!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
I agree. There should be no surprise at all.

Does everyone need a reminder of the F90 M5 models on offer for MY18 in Australia;

• M5 First Edition (limited to 400 cars)

• M5 Launch Edition (limited to first model year)

Buying one of these models you'd be silly to not be expecting something else coming in the very near future. Unless they are just going to sell the M5 Competition after the MY18 cars are sold out

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
I agree. I put a deposit on my m5 last August.
I wanted to be first to get a m4 back in 2014, I had to settle for launch colours. If I waited 3-4 months I could have done individual.
I told my self never again. I got offered a launch edition model, I said no thank you, let me know when I can get a individual colour. Then we had multiple rumblings of a competition package, I said I'll wait until end of May, if nothing announced I'll just order a individual M5 and not wait for competition.

Current new M5 owners have no one to blame but themselves. Righting was on the wall. We all knew this was coming since before Geneva auto show.

No one is saying this is a surprise - at least not the regular members. Let's not argue straw men. I think most of us (myself included) concedes that it comes as no surprise. But the issue is - why should this situation even exist in the first place? Even if we knew for certain the M5 Comp was eventually coming - why shouldn't (and wouldn't) BMW roll these out simultaneously, rather than staggering them by mere months.

As stated in my last post - it makes no sense from any business perspective. Everyone including BMW and customers stands to gain from an earlier roll out. BMW gains potential additional sales of the comp pack, and gives each and every customer at least the option of spending more money if they want. BMW certainly had the time to develop the comp pack for simultaneous release with the M5. And they had every incentive to do so. It certainly wouldn't cause LOST sales. That MB (whom BMW is paralleling here) structures it this way is significant.

By all appearances, BMW simply botched getting the Comp pack ready in time (i.e. missed internal deadlines) to release simultaneously with the base M5.

Un. Forced. Error.
I absolutely get what you're saying, but in reality, there are four options:

1: delay cp for 1-2 years so early buyers can enjoy some perceived limelight (obviously bad)

2: delay base m5 until cp testing is complete, release both at same time (good for early adopting enthusiasts, bad for lessees on a time crunch or people who want the m5 and dont care about cp)

3: rush cp development so it launches at same time base is ready (good for people unwilling to wait and for enthusiast lessees on a time crunch, bad for anybody who cares about cp quality/value)

4: release m5 as soon as ready, release cp as soon as ready - best balance, but requires paying attention to rumors/leaks etc.

BMW probably should have announced the timeline more widely, but i think the current approach (option 4) is the best of what was available. Delaying one or rushing the other would still create unhappiness in one group or the other.
Appreciate 1
M4LAKA114.00