03-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #33
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
I never said the Corvette was slow on the contrary it was always fast. I was just saying the Corvette has always been hp power first then chassis which means they are fast but a bit of a handful.

I once test drove a C6 Corvette and to be honest, it felt like a boat. GM significantly beefed up the C7 chassis to improve the handling and the feel, but I haven't gotten chance to test drive a C7 so I am not sure how good it is. As I said, I really like the current C7 and Cadillac ATS/VTS and Camaro. I've test drove the Cadillac and I was very impressed.

As for your criticism of BMW using struts up front, well struts have its own advantage in term of lower unsprung weight but ultimately I agree that upper-lower control will prevail in handling especially at high speed. The original Cayman has struts in all four corners! and given its modest performing envelope, I actually think struts might be better. All of Porsche 911 have struts up front because their front ends don't have a lot of weight.

The transverse leaf springs allow Corvette to save weight and lower the overall height but I think it hurts the Corvette handling. I really hope they go with the conventional springs and shocks for the mid engine.
For the record I didn't say you said they were slow I just put up times to demonstrate they can and do handle well they fact that they bring good power to the table is a nice bonus.
I just mentioned the struts to point out your complaint about the transverse leaf isn't really an issue, struts work as does the leaf spring. I can take your point about your perception of Corvette handling( although many disagree) but I don't think you can attribute it to the leaf itself. Track times again demonstate that the car can lay down very good times. Most cars with let's say 500 can easily be driven sedately on the street but once the left foot gets real heavy they all become more of a white knuckle handful.
Porsche may use struts due to light front end, I never heard that but will take your word for it, it makes sense. BMW doesn't have that mid, rear engine issue though, they could use unequal length controls. Porsche also uses struts also to keep the chassis narrower.
Both Corvette and M3 are killer cars and the completion between the two improves both breeds.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0