View Single Post
      10-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #104
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Look no further then why BMW tells your transmission oil is lifetime (directly against what ZF recommends) or why your engine compartment is locked up like a tomb, ensuring all those nifty plastic and rubber bits fail soon after 5-6years, just in time for a new loan/lease. The goal is not to make a car that lasts forever, the goal is to get you coming back in a reasonable amount of time. 100k miles or less is that number. You driving around in a 10 year old BMW does them no good. As the masses transition to electric, it's the very reason why battery tech will never surpass 5-6years or 100k miles without significant degrading performance/reliability. Morals and ethics aside, It is absolutely horrible for business to create a product that rarely needs replacement. And here we are.

With that being said, I can see the abrasive argument for Mos2. However protection from LSPI bearing damage and startup wear tips the scales in it's favor by a large margin IMHO.

But all of this is just bench racing, let's talk real world results. Are there many users posting examples of 10 year old 180+ mile engines outputting 150+hp per liter pushing 5500lbs (think about that, it's like pulling a 1000+lb trailer in your M and then flogging it all the time) running just straight oil up on Bob's? Or is just all hypothetical?

I will acknowledge that my experience is anecdotal and could just be a lucky fluke, but considering this is on the original n63 engine, the engine that BMW lost a class action lawsuit over....well then it's one hell of a fluke.
I got no problem with your logic.

But why doesn't Liqui-Moly make a BMW approved oil, and one that has JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT of molybdenum in it with an explanation. I have no problems with Moly. It was one of the first really good dry phase lubricants that could be added to a liquid in suspension.

But, to your anecdotal question, there are certainly some guys on Bobistheoilguy and many other forums running REALLY HIGH hp/L cars on nothing but Mobil-1. Also Redline. And Motul. Which are all VERY different products. Head to head, who the hell knows.

As I've said before, what really distinguishes the "lasters" versus the "failures" are the conservative tunes, who change oil REGULARLY, and choose a premium off the shelf manufacturer oil. There are still failures. Just like there are always going to be.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
GAMA948.00