03-18-2024, 07:39 PM   #13
gioM5-Comp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
Mine was exactly like that. You are correct that the dealer should fix this, but you have to decide if it is worth the hassle of going there, waiting, hoping they do it right, etc.

I see why they run into trouble because of this (straight out of ISTA):
Attachment 3413206

I don't know if is the same in the UK, but in the US there is no requirement for a dealer "tech" to have any training or experience. So sometimes you get a person who knows what they are doing (and maybe respects and appreciates cars), other times you get the new guy, or an experience doofus or wanker, who either doesn't follow directions or does even when they are incorrect or not applicable. The directions above are for when you completely drain the coolant. In our cases for a tank replacement that is not the case so the above probably should not apply.

I miss the days with my CTS-V when I was under warranty and I only had 1 tech work on my car, and he always did a great job. The one time he was unavailable for an alignment I had to take the car back to get it fixed because the other guy messed it up. Then like all top people in a given field he moved on to other things. But by then I was out of warranty and would do everything myself.
If they blindly follow those instructions wether they just change the tank or do a complete system bleed then that just serms plain crazy…!!
With regards technicians… I think it’s the same no matter where you’re from. It seems very hit and miss nowadays. I’ve had some great ones in the past. Main dealership ones and independent garages too. Those that were very knowledgeable were only to happy to help and would even offer me advice on previous cars advising me not to bother taking the car in as I could easily fix it myself, and proceeded to explain to me how to sort whatever problem I had myself. A good technician or mechanic, that you can trust is priceless. Unfortunately in the industry now, there seems to be a lot of wankers my friend…!!
Appreciate 0