03-18-2024, 11:30 AM   #7
gioM5-Comp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
OP, you should unscrew the cap and take a look under there. Does it look like the leak was coming from the cap? There is a channel from the cap that allows the fluid to leak along the seam and looks like a failed tank. I had this on my car after they overfilled after a leak test. ISTA tells the tech to overfill after doing the coolant, which depending on temperature changes can cause it to blow off under the cap. Since they just put a new tank on, I recommend you clean everything up, make sure the fluid is not above the max line, and keep an eye on it. Most likely it leaked from the cap and not the tank.
Hiya…
Apparently they replaced the tank and the cap I was told. There is clear signs of dried white crusty coolant around the seam of the tank. Not so much in and around the cap when I looked. You say there’s a channel from the cap that allows fluid to leak along the seam…? Is that channel on the inside of the cap or the outside of the cap..? Only asking because with the coolant being around the outside of the seal, I would automatically of assumed it’s being forced out through the the seam of the tank…or I’m I getting it wrong…? Does anybody have a picture of this channel from the cap so I know what I’m looking for…?
Just to add to what I’ve said. With the cap being over to one corner of the tank, would the channel you mentioned that allows the coolant to leak along the seam a resemble a failed tank… would it cause it to leak all the way around the seam or just focused in one area..? I can see what seems like coolant leaking all around most of the seam…
Any information would greatly be appreciated
Appreciate 0