08-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #33
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
Lastly, a thought occurred to me as I was typing this response. If straight pipe yielded a better result than a x pipe, Dinan could have easily developed a resonantor delete kit that utilized a straight pipe design. I would think there is a reason why they went with a x pipe design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I think the x pipe is all about opinion and perception really. For example several on here say the straight pipe sounds perfect. Even my old AMG sounded much better with a simple res and 2nd cat delete. Didn't need an x pipe. Typically x pipe is meant to balance an unbalanced exhaust ie. Different length pipes etc. I don't think the M5 has a terribly uneven set up. Which makes me wonder if the deletion of the balance can between the mufflers is my issue.
Straight pipes are typically marginally louder and more "raw/rowdy" for lack of a better term whereas an X smooths out the flow and produces a more refined consistent sound. Really a matter of personal taste of what kind of sound is more your style. Being an M5 we simply opted for what we thought the majority of the crowd would prefer in the X with the vehicle being more synonymous with a "gentleman's car".
Appreciate 0