pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
The older Honda stuff is indestructible. I always pick up "broken" ones I find on Marketplace for cheap to fix up and give to friends. The newer stuff not so much. They are still nice, but have turned into luxury cars of the power equipment world. The Honda walk behind mowers use a hydrostatic self propel, and the transmission often goes out after a few years. The part alone is $250 from Honda, and a shop will likely mark it up plus whatever their labor is to replace it. The track drive snow blowers also have some expensive parts on the drive system that fail and require complete disassembly, which can be a very expensive repair bill ($1000) for an aging snow blower.

My favorite mower is the Toro Super Recycler with the personal pace self propel, and you can order it with the Honda GCV160 engine. This is the mower I use for my front yard and it's been flawless.
I love the challenge of keeping an old machine working. Especially if it's something that's been passed down. Any dolt with a credit card and a pulse can piss away a bunch of $ on something new. It's way more challenging and rewarding to give a seasoned implement another shot at life through the liberal application of know-how and TLC.