View Single Post
      10-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I think the bore spacing of the S55 doesn't allow much larger bore (but it's been a long time since I studied the S55 spec sheet, so I might be mistaken).

And don't forget that the area under the curve for both hp and torque is more important than just looking at a peak number for both HP and torque...

And the GTS has 600Nm of torque vs 440Nm for the GT3...
while BMW can and has done many things. Including I6's with more than 3000cc, in today's world that has consequences. Namely 2:

Emissions are lower with smaller engines and with performance cars this is a real issue. In the US if you don't make certain levels you can't sell your car in the US (unless you game the system as well as if you don't certain mpg, you have to tack on extra taxes.

The other reason is also about taxes but this time, import taxes. Many countries charge different rates for importing a foreign car and that is sometimes tied to the cc of the motor with =>3000cc being line. In some cases the import tax can add another 10%+ of the car price in tax.

In some Asian countries this $120USD car would be $346k at 2990cc and $394k at 3000cc+. So they just don't even sell in those countries and BMW is a global brand and they want to sell their cars wherever customer live.
Appreciate 0