AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Excellent thread excellent thread!

A few questions if you do not mind:

1. I have a Valentine 1 Detector. Is it worth switching Detectors or not? I do not want to install all different types of grill and tail mounted apparatus on the car – just one rear view mirror mount. So should I keep the Valentine 1 or dump it? The Valentine 1 is a few years old.

2. My front windshield has light window tint on it. Will this prevent the operation of the Radar detector, whether Valentine 1 or otherwise? The window tint did not in any way impair the operation of my Valentine 1 on any of several previous cars.

3. My car is a 2020 M5 Competition and has Executive Package, Driver's Assistance, etc. Which specific portion of the Radar Detector do I need to tape over? And will this impair the operation of the Radar Detector or of the Car?

Thank you very much for your efforts!
#1 - I wouldn't. If you go the the Valentine1 website you can enter the serial # of your unit and see if it's eligible for an upgrade. If it is you trade for a new one for a reduced price.

#2 - Hard to say. The tinted area at the top of the windshield interfered with the laser detector on my unit.

#3 - to defeat the gesture control from setting off the rear facing laser detector I put a small piece of black electrical tape over the sensor. Look at post #48 in this thread - the red circle in the center of the unit is the laser detector sensor. I also taped over the gesture control sensors in the overhead console of the car. You'll have to search for that location in other threads as there are no pictures of it in this one.

Good luck with the install!
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0