05-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
1. Do you brake before the diving turn or just lift?-slight lift coming down the hill, no brake prior to turn-in. At the bottom of the hill, when it flattens out, the car compresses on the suspension and gives you more grip than you'd think is available. It is at this point that you turn-in and roll on the throttle a bit to apex, then flatten it. Increase in exit speed is significant. My last session of that day, I only lifted there...the video I linked, you can hear the braking in the beginning of the session (pagids squeaking) but no brake later in the video after I passed my friend's Z06.

Where one can really make up time is the turn after the uphill, the right hander, really light on the brake there and slip'er through on the gas. Most drivers brake too much there and limit their speed down the hill...limiting their speed coming onto the straight....
Tires gave up (really cooked) late in the day and the car was sliding a bit more but very little braking going on here, really only before the hill and and the end of the straight...

2. What is your braking point at the end of the straight?
Here's where the re-pave messed me up...my markers were gone. After that day, and watching my tape, it looks like a smidge before "2". Progressively harder and then kick'er into BigBend. Here is another place where you'll catch many drivers. If you trail-brake there and get comfortable with the slip, it's like cheating.
I've yet to try the "inside" line there, though. The fastest laps I've ever seen...SpeedGT CTS-V and a few others have them hugging the inside of BigBend the whole way around. I don't know if it's the same now after the repave, though. I've always trailed it in to the outside and then kicked'er back in...worth a try next time.

It would be great to have you ride along in a PDA event and give me some advice! my pleasure...we'll have a blast.Will you be at NJMP Lightning in June?on the Sat and Sunday, yes, see you there!!!
Be good,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0