View Single Post
      11-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
kezm2
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM M2 Manual

Nice stats! My view is it won't be a classic, but my view is depreciation will be slow, particularly when (in the UK) the used cars after April look more appealing due to the change in new car tax.

If they move production from Leipzig and ramp up the numbers the car will drop in value, if they stay at 450 cars a year for 3 years and then they drop the model because the 2019 2 series goes front wheel drive or something like that then thats a huge win for the M2 values. There is a decent market for smaller performance cars, so I can see it continuing and them moving production to make assembly easier and increase margin on the car.

Fully agree with spanytom and I think the car is well priced. I think you have to be in the 60k+ area to get a car that matches M2 for RWD coupe etc. I know they group it with the A45, RS3, Focus RS and I like those cars but they are fast 4WD hatchbacks and for me a different car to the M2.

My imaginary investment 45k-60k would go into something thats dropped already, probably a manual 4.7 V8 vantage or a manual R8 V10. They are about 50% of original value so depreciation wise there should be much smaller drops to expect.

The advice to store it for 10 years I would be extremely wary of, there is 10 years of insurance, still needs to be serviced, storage costs. Lets say 1,200 a year. That means in years 10 the M2 has to be worth 55-57k to break even and you've not even enjoyed driving the car, if for some bizarre reason they are fetching 60/70k, will one with 10/15k miles on it be worth that much less.

I'm glad manuals are rare and they could become even more rare from April too as the DCT falls into a lower tax bracket.
Appreciate 1