11-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #9
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanytom View Post
I'm sure there are much better ways to invest circa £45k over ten years than buying an M2!

It's a great car that I am really enjoying so far (after a 1 year wait for delivery as I wouldn't pay more than MSRP as a matter of principle) and I may well keep it long term, but would never have bought it as an investment. There might be a chance to make a relatively small short term profit on the car, but then I would have to buy another car and there isn't much else out there at the moment up to this price level that I fancy.
That's pretty much my thoughts. I'm under no illusion that I will sell it for a quick profit or make money on it! Certainly I wouldn't want to sink nearly £50k on one to sit on a garage for 10 years, there's an absolute ton of cars I'd buy ahead of the M2 if that was my plan!!

What I do hope is that the comparable cost of ownership will be palatable, with strong residuals and reasonable running costs for a sporty daily driver.

I do question the incentive for BMW to ramp up RHD production next year though; the M2 has done it's marketing job very well and with the current exchange rate why bother churning out RHD cars for a lower margin that are more of a hassle to assemble at the factory and increases their CO2 average across the range? Far better to offer prospective punters an m240i with lower emissions, chunky discounts and finance support and point out that it's just as quick anyway, sir.
Appreciate 1