11-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Lightbulb M2 sales in the UK

I've been doing some homework on the state of the M2 market in the UK. Most people I speak to think the M2 is a good buy at the moment. If you have the money and space I've been advised to buy one, stick it in suitable storage and take it out again in 10 years....

From what I have been told most dealers in the UK have been allocated 2 or 3 cars a year, spaced out with one each 3-4 or 4-5 month cycles. Some dealer more, some dealers less but when you apportion it out among all the dealers it's repoted to be about 450-500 cars a year coming to the UK for each full year of production.

All the dealers I have spoken to in the South East of England (and I have spoken to a LOT of them) have 'sold' their 2017 allocations with some claiming to have sold '18. All have waiting lists for '18/LCI & M2 CSL.

Sales started in April this year with dealers selling the first stock of demonstrators and to the 'lucky few'. Within days of going on sale cars where available via the independents with asks of 5-10K over MSRP. I've kept an eye on the stock and they sell - for what I don't know but they sell eventually.

A check on the old AutoTrader displays 43 M2's for sale right now today in the UK. Of these 43 cars listed over half of them LBB DCT's. 10 White, 3 Black & 2 Grey and only 16 manuals in the whole set....

Some quick math, assuming 450 cars a year which is close enough to 38 cars a month. With delivery starting in Aril and we're in November now. Let's say 8 months at 38 cars a month would be 304 car delivered to the UK thus far. So that's about 15% of all the cars available for sale right now. Draw this out with the cars already sold and I recon it's more like 20-30% have been bought and sold on the secondary market.

I'd be interested to know the real volumes but it appears to be a buoyant market right now. There appears to be buyers at these premiums - somebody is taking profit - which is counter to the advise I've been given. Is this car a better short term 'sell'?

What do you think, are the dealers reporting long delivery hoping to drum up demand and create profits? Is BMW deliberately constraining supply to maintain demand in the marker? Is the M2 a hold in the hope it becomes a collectors item a la. 1M?

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 11-15-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00