View Single Post
      04-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #134
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Old thread...

Anyway, so I have a '06 E90 325i with the N52 and I have a '08 Z4 3.0si Coupe with the N52 (albeit with the 3-stage intake vs. the 325i). The E90 has just sound deadening and the Z4 has the induction tube into the cabin. When I first looked at replacing my E30 with a E46, one of the reasons I waited for the E90 rather than get an E46, was the E46 was too isolated and the engine sound muted. The E90 had more engine noise (close the the E30) and I was glad BMW brought back some "noise" in the cabin. The Z4 in my mind has a bit too much engine noise in the cabin and it gets tiring sometimes (I drive it at 160 mile stints). But the stock exhaust on the Z4 sounds wonderful and in the coupe you can hear the transmission and differential gear whine, which is just wonderful. The sounds (all the sounds) the Z4 makes is one of the attributes of owning one, but I'm glad I can step back into the E90 and the more sedate cabin (yet still hear the real engine soundtrack).

Piped in engine music... just stupid, and OP I feel the same as you.

I will add that the M20 in the E30 325i (is motor) with its solid lifters was a fantastic sounding machine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0