View Single Post
      02-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #15
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Guys, relax. Its a car board... All in fun. BTW, I do need to change my sig because I don't drive the NSX anymore.

Of course I understand not everybody likes aftermarket wheels. That is why I refer to an overall TREND with Z4 and Z4M owners rather than harping on a single owner that chose not to buy aftermarket wheels. I was being sarcastic about the cheap thing. I too am an owner so obviously not trying to insult us as a group...

Anyhew, I'm thinking it is a combination of lower volumes of cars out there (compared to 3 series and even M3) combined with a tendency FOR WHATEVER REASON of M Coupe owners not to mod.

As far as why we are less likely to mod I'm not sure. I was thinking about the "purist" thing as many of us are such. However, most M3 owners are purists too. They generally don't place form over function as most of the aftermarket wheels seen on M3's are lightweight and/or forged as well.

In the case of the Lotus Elise/Exige community there was a definite reason we didn't install aftermarket wheels: limited fitments and a single minded focus to keep the thing as light and simple as possible for track duty.

Strangely it would seem the M Couple would be more likely to be modded considering it is more of a pure toy than a spacious somewhat practical car as the M3 is. We all know aftermarket wheels are not practical. They're not neccessary and they cost a lot of money. Which is precisely why they are often either on impractical cars (toys) or ghetto rides. M Coupe fits in the toy section.

I've had tasteful quality aftermarket wheels on many of my toys...

Fikse and CCW forged wheels on NSX's
Kinesis Forged on Viper GTS and 944 Turbo
BBS RSII on 911
Volk forged on S2000
Loved the deep wheels on 00' M Coupe and Roadster so no aftermarkets

Some of those cars had a shortage of fitments. But I have always ove how many deep wheel options are available for most BMW's. Thought there would be a lot of aftermarket wheel Coupes... Not the case. Just makes one say Hhhhmmmmmm...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/291976

Last edited by Evoking; 02-05-2008 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0