View Single Post
      08-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #1371
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I disagree. Most North American outlets are installed upside-down, but those are not!

From an electrician that I trust, the ground pin should always be on the top. The reason he gave was that someone dropping a conductive item near the wall where a plug wasn't 100% seated will have that item hit the ground pin first, and then short to either neutral or hot as it falls. He claimed that it provided the best chance for popping the breaker, instead of shocking a person trying to catch/retrieve the item.....
What's more likely to happen, someone dropping conductive material against a wall and potentially making contact with exposed contact points, or a person unplugging something from the duplex. When unplugging any item, your forefinger is retracted, the thumb extends outward. If any electrical item is being unplugged, there is a far greater likelihood of your forefinger making contact with the positive and negative terminals on the bottom versus something falling and making contact. I don't know how many people have dropped conductive material, against a wall, and try to catch it, but I imagine there are far more people unplugging things. Duplexes can be installed in any direction, there is no set upside/downside.
Appreciate 1