No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm490 View Post
So the M3 just arrived and I went and looked at it and its gorgeous and really stands strong with presence. I also just found an LCI 2021 M5 for the same exact price. non comp, exec pack, driver assist package, b&w, 6900 miles, donington on black.

Its not a comp and thats making it hard for me to jump on, do you guys think its worth it?
ResIpsaLoquitur and Shawn already make eloquent cases here for thinking seriously about this F90 opportunity over the G80. In seconding their endorsements of the M5, I'd only add that--as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread--I too had been in the market for a new M3 and would never have imagined myself seriously entertaining the M5, since i) I couldn't really stretch to financing a new one and hadn't at that point looked closely at the used market, ii) I always assumed the F90 would feel too large for British roads, and iii) that it wouldn't have that level of aggression and presence that I felt the new design language of the M3 expressed. How wrong I was on all counts; and how glad I am that the prospect of getting the horrific eyesore that is ID8 made me switch promptly from the 3 to the 5.

From the moment you sit in a F90 the quality of the seats and cabin exudes prestige and bespoke excellence, and then you press the start button... Well, even with all our EU noise regs and OPFs over here, there's nothing that matches the V8 charisma in this segment and it surpasses the G80's engine note, appealingly gravelly though that can be when pushed through the rev range. What's more, in my experience so far with my M5, there's actually not much about it that really, in practice, earns the term 'sleeper': it's always attracting attention and has loads of visual (and acoustic!) presence in a way that I wouldn't have expected from a car with a comparatively 'conservative' design in comparison to the new M3. I have folks wanting to chat to me all the time at fuel stations or when parking up in the street, just out of respect for everything that 'M5' represents--a heritage that no other saloon, even the venerable M3, can match.

Anyway, look: I can see that if you're ever thinking of becoming a track-day aficionado, then the M3 is undeniably attractive and may indeed be the logical choice. But in terms of the base M5, if you can live without the BHP bragging rights and lower stance (which does, undeniably, make the Comp look more imposing), then an amply spec'd '21 F90 is well worth a look. The LCI was never going to be an option for me, as they remapped the engine for late '20 models onwards in the EU, seriously quelling its sound. But you guys Stateside don't have that problem, so I hear (excuse the pun). At the very least, Donnington is a super flattering colour for this generation. Good luck with the deliberations.

D
Excellent points made here! I agree with you on all of this!