View Single Post
      07-17-2022, 10:09 PM   #18
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Is this retrofit just to have usb port exposed under the radio? Or can you retrofit factory wireless usb charging?

Also is this an extra usb port? Or you have to disable one usb port and move that port to this new port? You moving usb port from the cup holder to here?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Got the new USB port installed! Didn't have to do any coding at least to enable charging which is all I want the new USB port for.

You have to remove the USB socket (the white plastic portion) from the square black outer case to plug it into the new lower dash trim piece by squeezing on the black clips on either side. The square black outer case is only needed if you want to add the USB port to your glove box.

You also have to shave one of the "fins" off one of the plugins on one side of the USB HSD cable, specifically the beige plugin (not the white plugin that plugs into the USB socket in the dash trim). See attached image for the little "fin" you have to shave off with the red arrow pointing at it so it's able to fit in the USB2 port in the back of your head unit (I have an NBT Evo head unit).

Be careful about resting the head unit, upper dash trim or radio panel on other things, be sure to set down a towel or microfiber towel to avoid scratching things. I accidentally scratched the area near the sport mode selector a little by setting my head unit down on it. Even though it didn't move around the weight alone left a faint scratch (may have moved a tad). Not a huge deal but we're OCD with our cars lol.

This sure isn't anything advanced or fancy, but before and after pics attached as well.
Appreciate 0