View Single Post
      09-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #43
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
I haven't done exhaustive research but casual research (fuel manufacturer websites) suggests otherwise, somewhat in between what the two of us have stated. It does appear that more brand name fuels put higher levels of additives in premium these days (Shell, BP) but others (Texaco, ARCO) claim no such thing (that I've been able to find).
COSTCO claims "Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline contains five times the EPA detergent requirement in both regular unleaded and premium grades".

Summary: I have always recommended Top Tier gasoline as do most vehicle manufacturers and industry experts. However, I am unable to find a single industry expert (other than perhaps the fuel manufacturers themselves) who recommends using a higher octane gasoline than what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. The vast majority of industry experts claim it is a waste of money to do so and I agree.
I work for an additive company in our fuels division so I have direct knowledge of additive technology, performance, and treat rates for many fuel companies. Whenever this topic comes up I try to carefully comment to share my knowledge and teach others without giving away specifics that would be frowned upon.

Using a higher octane rating than recommended is a waste of money, yes. This is very well known. Engine controls are so sophisticated these days that they will adjust to preserve the engine despite whatever fuel you put in, to a degree. Some manufacturers now even give power ratings based on fuel octane used, see the new Ford Bronco 2.3L and 2.7L specs.

My comments are mostly around additives and their treat rates. I'm constantly amazed at how people have strong opinions with little to no actual knowledge or data. Additives are not snake oil, there is an entire industry for fuel additives and the EPA has a minimum amount required because they work to reduce deposits. Additives do make a significant difference in performance and there are millions of dollars spent by many companies to generate data to support their marketing claims.
Appreciate 4